I need some guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadz

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm super passionate about the ocean and it has always been my greatest desire to become a scuba instructor; and I've finally decided to take the steps and do it. The problem is, I'm a bit lost on the best way to go about it.

I've read a dizzying amount of information lately in trying to find the best route. I'm not even PADI certified yet. What programs should I look for? And what's a good costs for these programs? Should I find a package with everything (PADI Certified to instructor)? I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions! I found a program in Thailand for about 10,000 USD. Included PADI Certification all the way to Instructor, equipment, 200+ dives, and lodging for 7 months. Is this the kind of thing I should do? (Yeah, it's kind of crazy, but I'm down with crazy)

This forum is rather large, so if anyone could point me perhaps to a thread that this might be explained or if an experienced diver could help me out that would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I'm getting open water certified next month. I'm doing the pool class then going to the Turks with a friend who has property down there to finish the open water dives. The question is: what next?

Last edited:
you should get your ow first and go from there. I think it would be best to log tons of dives before attempting to go straight from ow to instructor.

experience is invaluable in diving especially when you take into account you would like to educate and train.

good luck

brett

I'd suggest you get open water certified first, and then do some diving.

Ok lots of diving. After that the path will be pretty clear to you. If you like it continue on, and if not then not too much is lost. Either way your on your path to becoming an instructor. Once you've got some experience or on the way you can take additional training depending on what interests you.

Mat.

Smaller, slower steps. You don't even know if you will really like diving yet or if it is something that you will do well. A little like saying that you've never flown a kite but intend to be a combat jet pilot ..........it's certainly possible but necessary to have some foundation.

P.S. Didn't intend to dampen enthusiasm, only meant to establish realistic goals based on experience.

Well I'm pretty much done with college, and the American dream is uninteresting to me.

Let's assume I love diving when I go next month in the Turks, for arguments sake. I need to go get a job and live my life fairly soon. What realistic steps should I take to make this a career after certification and a few dives? And what should it realistically cost me?

Well I'm pretty much done with college, and the American dream is uninteresting to me.

Let's assume I love diving when I go next month in the Turks, for arguments sake. I need to go get a job and live my life fairly soon. What realistic steps should I take to make this a career after certification and a few dives? And what should it realistically cost me?

You might search this site for other threads about professional diving. I know that this is a very, very difficult way to eke out a fairly low income life style - the people who manage to do this are either very dedicated or have additional sources of income, or both. I am not an instructor, nor have I ever depended on diving for income, so I can't really answer your question but I am sure someone else will. By the way, without someone believing in the "American Dream" there would not likely be much of a dive industry.

You might search this site for other threads about professional diving. I know that this is a very, very difficult way to eke out a fairly low income life style - the people who manage to do this are either very dedicated or have additional sources of income, or both. I am not an instructor, nor have I ever depended on diving for income, so I can't really answer your question but I am sure someone else will. By the way, without someone believing in the "American Dream" there would not likely be much of a dive industry.

My fiancee will have a great job with great job security when we get married next summer. Besides, riches aren't a big concern of mine. Beyond providing basic needs and wants, it never made anyone happy.

And I'm not against the American Dream, it's just not for me.

Shadz, you may need to think about alternative diving proffessions instead other than instructor. For example, if you like photography you could get a camera and housing and start working on building a portfolio so you could get a job doing that at resorts. I know that, at least in New England, nobody makes anything close to a living as an instructor. In fact, the amounts instructors are paid around here sometimes dont even fully cover the cost of their car gas, breathing gas, equipment maintenance, etc. They just do it because they love teaching.

Just because you put your $$$ in (PADI or otherwise) and took a class and have a care saying your are a diving professional doesn't make you a professional at anything.

Put yourself in the fins of a diver who just enrolled in a scuba class to find out his instructor just learned to dive him/her self. The only way you become a good instructor is through experience and over time and diving in a variety of conditions with a variety of people.

Instructors dont make much $$$ anyway and shops dont usually hire to often anyway.

take an open water class, then take advanced open water, rescue diver, and then go take DIR fundies so you learn some other skills not taught in most beginner courses. then see where you want to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom