I NEED Your help! Can't decide!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Gang,

I have been obsessing over my new video set up. I have been looking at the canon HV20 and the Sony HC7. Up until this point I have been leaning more towards the Sony HC7 just because of housing availability. Ikelite just released a new housing for the HV20 which has completely messed me up as far as what to buy.

I like the features of the Canon and the fact that you do not have to use proprietary components as you do with the HC7. I also like the fact the HV20 shots in pure 24P not "cinema mode" So as far as the cameras are concerned I'd go for the Canon...but the question now comes down to housings...I'm aware of the depth limitations with the Ike but I never go beyond recreational limits so that is really not a concern for me.

here's the break down of the setups I'm looking at:

camera: Sony HC7
housing: Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO w/ 10W HID light system

camera: Canon HV20
housing: ikelite #6071 w/ Pro video lite 3

What are your thoughts on the Ike Video housings? Does anyone have real-world experience with any of these two setups?

looking forward to your comments.

dive safe,

Jeff

Cant help you decide because I'm having the same issues and now Equinox has a housing for the HV-20 also and is priced competively with the Ikelite even if you add the monitor backplate to the Equinox. The main issue I'm having is being able to process the footage. I have an IMac G5 and the new IPhoto won''t process the Sony except on Intel based Macs and without going to Final Cut, can't process the 24P on the Canon at present. I am leaning towards the Canon because the lowlight capability in 24P is much better than the Sony...at least by comparative tests. I am not in a rush, as I am still learning and the basic rig I have now is easy to use, but I want to get the new rig before heading to French Polynesia next year. Anyone know if Final Cut Express HD will process 24P?It's a little more affordable than the full fledged version.

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

budaman:
Cant help you decide because I'm having the same issues and now Equinox has a housing for the HV-20 also and is priced competively with the Ikelite even if you add the monitor backplate to the Equinox. The main issue I'm having is being able to process the footage. I have an IMac G5 and the new IPhoto won''t process the Sony except on Intel based Macs and without going to Final Cut, can't process the 24P on the Canon at present. I am leaning towards the Canon because the lowlight capability in 24P is much better than the Sony...at least by comparative tests. I am not in a rush, as I am still learning and the basic rig I have now is easy to use, but I want to get the new rig before heading to French Polynesia next year. Anyone know if Final Cut Express HD will process 24P?It's a little more affordable than the full fledged version.

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

DOH! Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this :D

Yeah Mike, I'm leaning more towards the Canon too as much for what you mentioned but also because of Sony's proprietary accessories...that is a big strike against them for me too. But the housings! I REALLY like the amphibico EVO with the new 3.5 video display on the back...which of course are ONLY made for Sony Cameras....

I'm using a Duo Core 2 system with Premiere Pro 2 and 4GB of ram for my editing.

dive safe,
Jeff

A couple points to consider about either/both:

The EVO back monitor is SD not HD. The EVO doesn't support MWB.
The Ikelite will never support an external monitor from the factory. So you'll always be using the mirror with the reversing circuitry <- a must if you buy the Ikelite - otherwise your pans are backward...
Do they even offer it for the HV20?

Can you add/remove an external red-filter on the Ikelite u/w?

It's something I'm glad my EVO does (flip filter) I've had two sub-15' situations (sharks and turtles) in the past year where I needed to flip the filter up at the end of a dive..

sjspeck:

The Ikelite will never support an external monitor from the factory. So you'll always be using the mirror with the reversing circuitry <- a must if you buy the Ikelite - otherwise your pans are backward...

It's something I'm glad my EVO does (flip filter) I've had two sub-15' situations (sharks and turtles) in the past year where I needed to flip the filter up at the end of a dive..
Hi sjspeck, thanks yep I realize the monitor on the EVO is not HD. Hmmm didn't know about the MWB limitation though...

yeah Ike "just" released the new housing for the HV20 with the reverse circuitry. Previous versions of the canon housings had the camera's monitor open...which made for a very LARGE unit. I'll have to check on the add/removal of filters u/w.

thanks for your reply!

dive safe,
Jeff

sjspeck:

Hey Sjspeck,

here's the ike link to the new housing: http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_hv20.html

dive safe,

Jeff

As an owner of an HC-7, I'd have to say that I'm less than satisfied with it as an underwater HDV camera. Search the site and you'll see my threads with the reasons why. It certainly introduces some characteristics I've never observed in my five previous Sony camcorders (all used within the same housing).

WannaLaguna:
yeah Ike "just" released the new housing for the HV20 with the reverse circuitry.
You sure?...read the fine print:

the HV20 page:
Actual image will be reversed when viewed through the mirror.
compared with the HC7 page:
This housing includes (IRC) Image Reversing Circuitry. The circuit reverses (flips) the image and text on the LCD screen so that when the image is reflected in the External Mirror, it appears correct left-to-right.

I'm guessing that it doesn't work with the HV20 electronics. Something to ask about.

Ikelite does provide a removable filter for the HV20 housing:
Removable External UR/Pro Filter
Might ask about the HC7 housing though as it doesn't mention that it's removable. With previous Ikelite models the filter provided fit the camera lens:
Included UR/Pro Color Filter provides color correction in tropical blue water

sjspeck:
You sure?...read the fine print:

the HV20 page:

compared with the HC7 page:

I'm guessing that it doesn't work with the HV20 electronics. Something to ask about.

Ikelite does provide a removable filter for the HV20 housing: Might ask about the HC7 housing though as it doesn't mention that it's removable. With previous Ikelite models the filter provided fit the camera lens:

DOH! Well now I'm totally messed up again... leaning back towards the amphibico housing and the HC7...Although, I don't really have a problem with the reversed image...as long as the shot is composed properly, it shouldn't be an issue should it? Or is it...left is right and right is left....

In your humble opinion...which camera and housing would you get? I plan on doing just as much shooting on land as in the water.

Thanks Steve,

Dive Safe,

Jeff.

For a land based camera, I would choose the HV20 between these two. Actually, I DID choose the HV20 over the HC7 for the reasons stated above (in no small part was the fact that I HATE being forced into buying needed accessories as proprietary, such as an external mic, are you listening Sony????) but again, that was for land with no consideration of using it underwater, where proprietary accessories may not be needed.

There are several housing choices available now for the HV20, including the Ikelite and the Equinox mentioned above. However, the HV20 does not have a LANC, if that makes a difference in your housing choice.

You should be able to edit 24p in most editing software that will handle HD. Check to see if a 24p preset is available for your software. As the 24p is stored in a 60i stream, it is captured the same way as the normal HD is. Freeware is now available for both Mac and PC for removing the 3:2 pulldown to get the true 24p.

The HC7 has a more solid feel to it, a complaint among HV20 owners. But other than that, I love the HV20. But You really can't go wrong with either camera.

BTW: I've read that the HC3 has better low light sensitivity than the HC7, so that may be another option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom