I saw a hurt diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen mention of the term "six pack" boats several times on different threads. I am unfamiliar with this term and am gathering a "six pack'' boat falls under different regulations than larger vessels.

Can someone bring me up to speed on what exactly a "six pack " is?

Thanks in advance; jbm

A six pack boat generally carries six divers

Pink froth...

This occurrs when the alveoli in the lungs rupture and blood begins to fill the bronchiols. When this occurs in a diver it is reasonable to suspect the possibility of an arterial gas embolism or AGE. In a diver, this is caused by the over expansion of the alveoli due to trapped air. Holding the breath is probably the most common reason, but it is not the only reason.

Hope the diver is ok.

TwoBit

jbm:
I have seen mention of the term "six pack" boats several times on different threads. I am unfamiliar with this term and am gathering a "six pack'' boat falls under different regulations than larger vessels.

Can someone bring me up to speed on what exactly a "six pack " is?

Thanks in advance; jbm

This all applies to the US - I have no idea about other countries....

A "Six pack" boat is the "slang" term for one operating under the "OUPV" rules, or "operator of uninspected passenger vessel". There is both the issue for the vessel (its not inspected - any recreational class vessel is ok, as is their safety equipment requirements) AND the master only has an "OUPV" ticket.

Such a vessel may carry only six revenue passengers, plus crew.

The "Masters" ticket allows operation of vessels which can carry MORE than six passengers. These are typically inspected vessels, in that the USCG inspects them and issues a COI for them. Their safety equipment requirements, as well as requirements for structural matters, are significantly more stringent than for an OUPV operator.

In any event a commercial, revenue-generating vessel that went out without a working marine radio on it is something I'd definitely report to the local USCG office. IMHO that's grossly unsafe; I wouldn't go beyond confined water without one, and I suspect that the USCG would see things the same way for a commercial operation.

Genesis:
This is in addition to enough O2 for at least two man-hours (in civilized regions) on demand valves as well.

O2 is not a Coast Guard requirement just a sane dive boat practice, correct?

cornfed:
O2 is not a Coast Guard requirement just a sane dive boat practice, correct?

Correct. A boat is, from the USCG's point of view, just a means of transportation. (From mine too, for that matter :D)

Genesis:
or "operator of uninspected passenger vessel".

When I first read this, I thought is was

operator of "unsuspecting passenger" vessel

LOL

Genesis:
This all applies to the US - I have no idea about other countries....

A "Six pack" boat is the "slang" term for one operating under the "OUPV" rules, or "operator of uninspected passenger vessel". There is both the issue for the vessel (its not inspected - any recreational class vessel is ok, as is their safety equipment requirements) AND the master only has an "OUPV" ticket.

Such a vessel may carry only six revenue passengers, plus crew.

The "Masters" ticket allows operation of vessels which can carry MORE than six passengers. These are typically inspected vessels, in that the USCG inspects them and issues a COI for them. Their safety equipment requirements, as well as requirements for structural matters, are significantly more stringent than for an OUPV operator.

Thanks Genesis....appreciate it.

jbm

Genesis:
Correct. A boat is, from the USCG's point of view, just a means of transportation. (From mine too, for that matter :D)

For some reason I'm not surprised. wink

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom