I saw a hurt diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad to hear that the diver is doing well. I hope they will continue to dive in the future.

Not to sound like a complete idiot. What is a Cold Water Edema?

hambleto:
Not to sound like a complete idiot. What is a Cold Water Edema?
I don't know but I hope it is not as bad as a cold water enema.

From google search:
Acute pulmonary edema has been associated with cold-water immersion in swimmers and divers. We report on eight divers using a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (scuba) who developed acute pulmonary edema manifested by dyspnea, hypoxemia, and characteristic chest radiographic findings. All cases occurred in cold water. All scuba divers were treated with complete resolution, and three have returned to diving without further episodes. Mechanisms that would contribute to a raised capillary transmural pressure or to a reduced blood-gas barrier function or integrity are discussed. Pulmonary edema in scuba divers is multifactorial, and constitutional factors may play a role. Physicians should be aware of this potential, likely underreported, problem in scuba divers

mech:
Around noon on 12/30 some of my friends and I were diving the Ruby E. on a "six pack" that we chartered and heard what sounded like some one violently throwing up on the boat moored right behind us.Their bow was about 50 yards off our stern.
After we looked closer we saw a diver at the other boats bow line in big trouble.
We called (yelled) to the other boat several times and had our own rescue crew suiting up to assist.
The other boat relized what was going on and sent a rescue diver (their dive master) faster than we could get ours in.
When he reached the diver he yelled "OH ****" (I later found out that the diver had quit breathing)and did a better than average job getting him on board.
Our skipper asked if they wanted him to call for rescue and they said yes.
Our skipper is a friend of the other boat and told us that he knew that their primary radio was broken and that their hand held was weak.
The lifeguards (yes lifeguards) were there in less than 5 minutes and gone with the victim in a prompt manner.
The evacuation of the victim to the shore was faster than I thought possible.
I found out later when talking to the rescue diver on shore that when he arrived the victim wasn't breathing and he was drowning in pink froth that filled his lungs but regained his breathing after one rescue breath from some one on board.
This was a real "eye opener" for me.
Does any one know more about this?
Thanks
Mech

EEEEK!! Sad story

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom