I screw up in the water, I know, and I appreciate all the help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
In fact, if a buddy told me something like this, it would put me on alert that I have an insta-buddy who knows he's likely to do something to get himself in trouble and I would spend the dive watching for trouble....
OMG, I guess so. Call the dive while still on the boat!

Like I mentioned, I was overtaken by the loss of the very experienced DM this week, who died at the same time as a guest - which suggests that he could have died trying to save the guest. Posted the thread as a discussion idea, but I guess it was weird.

I just learned that the guest was a West Texas boy. Damn!

If I may, I think most people in most emergency situations would at least make an attempt to help. Its in most peoples nature to help another in trouble. I may be different (I hope I'm not) but I've run up on car accidents to try and help, and only later I realized I smelled gasoline. Or if a neighbor's house was on fire, most people would certainly try to alert the neighbor or maybe even go in looking for people. I see this as no different than that. Your mistake or not. I can't just sit back and let you die. From what I have read from this board, I think most people here probably feel the same.

DandyDon:
OMG, I guess so. Call the dive while still on the boat!

Like I mentioned, I was overtaken by the loss of the very experienced DM this week, who died at the same time as a guest - which suggests that he could have died trying to save the guest. Posted the thread as a discussion idea, but I guess it was weird.

I just learned that the guest was a West Texas boy. Damn!

Don,

I think we all appreciate your position. Many of us were touched by the events this week.

Maybe stop, breathe and think – above the water sometimes. I know I had to.

Dive Safe!

Jeff

I spent many years working in professions where saving someones butt while putting my own at risk was a routine occurance. When someone chooses to learn and develop the skills to "help"...most likely they are going to try to help when the situation arises. I could never ignore a person in trouble, I guess I'm just not wired that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom