i survived the tsunami!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dochueb:
Clive -

You did absolutely the right thing with the towel around the thigh, and the oxygen was incredibly good thinking. Not only did it not do any harm, but it is exactly what she would have gotten at any Emergency Room and likely improved her outcome and/or saved her life!

Good Job!

DocHueb
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon

she was still alive 3 days after, because i went to see her again, but they had transfered her to Bangkok ready for repatriation.

Hi Clive!

Great to hear that you survived the tsunamis and what you have done for that little girl! Our hearts and prayers goes out to those affected by the quake & tsunamis! Pray and hope that things will get better!

I was there myself (18th-24th December), before the devastating event happened. I thank God for bring us back to Malaysia safely, at the same time I felt sorry for those affected by the event! I'm sure, things happened for a reason! It makes us look at the bigger picture, we have been looking at Global Warming and neglecting the coral reefs which in return protect us from such event. I may not be a pro or scientist in such a field but I felt that we are not doing enough to protect the underwater world and monitoring it's activities!

As for you being there, there's a reason too. To save lives! Eventhough, it is not a good experience, but you have saved someone's life! My respect goes out to all of those, who risked their lives to save another! I wish you well and pray that you'll recover from the trauma soon! God Bless!

Ed. :scubadive

Id like to say, god bless u and thank god ur alive.There arent that many ppl like u in this world and, im so happy ur all right!

An amazing story! There was a reason for you to be where you were that day. It was to save that little girls life. You were her guardian angel.
Go to the grief clinic, it is important for your emotional healing. You need to take good care of yourself.

Clive,
After reading your story I was left breathless and in awe. Thank god you took control of the situation , let your instinct and previous training rule and thanks to your tenacity, the girl was saved . Clive, you reacted selflessly and are a hero in the truest sense of the word.. My Tilley hat is off to you. Hip Hip Hurrah! Hip Hip Hurrah!
Hip Hip Hurrah!
God bless you Clive.

Cindy
aka..QA

You were truly a gift from god for that little girl,
What a story,
You are a hero and a guardian angel, god bless you.

Truly amazing. My heart and hands go up to and all the people that endured this destruction and those that did not prevail. In the small of it we all try to prevail but in the large of it we just try to live. U are a hero to many, I just hope the rest of the world will do a thimble full of what you did.

Praise,

Joel K.

I'm glade to hear that you and your family are safe. Your response was great. You know that this is different from one person to another and it will be different from situation to another, but I am happy that you took that action. You are such a good person.

Clive, your account has left me speachless, I knew that there had to be divers there involved in that wall of water. I had only dreamt that any divers there would be strong enough to help save lives. Reading this only gave me the reassurance that I was right.

Also, I have to commend you on using level head survival for those persons on the boats lives. I am a Registered Nurse too, and you absolutely did the correct things. You made an assessment from head to toe, made a plan to control the loss of blood, you stablized the girl with your quick thinking, you definitely did right to give her the oxygen to provide her tissues with that important element, and you continued to monitor her condition on the way to a hospital.

We just recently had a train wreck in my area that had a serious chlorine leak, our hospital was involved in response to this disaster. I have to share with you that health care workers in these types of situations are not intentionally ignoring or not responding, but they have to follow a series of protocals to work amongst the victims. Most often there is not enough time to give out any pats on the back, unfortunately even amongst themselves. I have been in on some situations when we were frantically working, doing various things to save someone or more lives and afterwards we still don't tell each other on the team well done. I guess that is because we feel like we were just doing what we had to also. It also is very reassuring when you are new to any of these emergent medical events to hear that you did the right things. New nurses want to hear this too, and I imagine all new healthcare workers do.

SO FROM THIS VETERAN NURSE.....YOU ABSOLUTELY DID THE RIGHT THINGS!

God Bless you and your family. Do get the counseling, and don't stay out of the water. The best thing you can do is get right back in!

Back
Top Bottom