I think I may have picked the wrong instructor - advise please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several comments which, at least in part, echo much of what has already been said.
  1. Three hour book session in shop – done.
  2. First pool session – We were told that most of his divers get the pool work done in one session. He scheduled a two hour session in a city pool. We had about an hour in the pool and according to him got about half way thru (my wife got the blame for not getting it all done)
Irrespective of the agency with which the instructor is affiliated, a 2 hour pool session to cover all of the Confined Water skills required for the OW certification is simply absurdly short. The 3 hours of academics is short but not unheard of. In contrast, the pool is where you learn, practice and develop the actual skills required to dive with reasonable safety in open water. For an instructor to say that 'most of his divers get the pool work done in one session' (and presuming he means a 2 hours session) suggests to me a training process that is fundamentally inadequate.
  1. Second pool session he scheduled with another student along. This time my bcd was a bit sloppy and my wife’s was at least one size if not two, too big. . . . Never had the problem in the first pool session, of course both our bcd’s for that one fit pretty well (snug and when inflated there was pressure on chest).
I don't understand why you and your wife were in different gear the second time. Was the instructor trying to give you experience with different types of BCDs (e.g. jackets, vs back-inflate units)?
Right now, mentally I’m in “cut my losses as best I can”.
And that may turn out to be the best solution. But, I would definitely speak - firmly and directly - with the instructor regarding your concerns before doing that.
Question: Can this guy take an average person and certify with only 2 hours pool and 4 open water dives?
VERY unlikely. The 4 OW dives are required. Compressing the CW training into one, 2-hour session is nonsensical.
Question: I’ve tentatively made up my mind to go with bpw from DSS when we get our equipment. I think getting hers now might be a good idea for her to finish pool work, but then I’m going to have to fight the instructor cause I’m getting the idea next step is to try to sell us bcd’s that fit, cause his rental stuff just doesn’t fit wife, etc, , ,, Good idea or bad???
I think it is a good idea. DSS is a great operation, Tobin is very helpful, and going with a BP/W from the start is a very good plan. Don't worry about a 'fight' with the instructor. If he insists on selling you the gear, then your 'cut and run' decision is made for you.
I’m going down to his shop and have a fairly long discussion with this guy . . . but if he comes around I may continue getting certified with him (bad Idea????)
That is the tough call. As most have suggested, your experience to date describes an instructional approach that very few competent instructors would feel good about. But, you have paid for the course - I encourage you to hold his feet to the fire and get what you paid for. And, speaking of that, if you paid for two sets of academic materials, you should a) get two sets of materials, or b) get a partial refund for one of them.
We are going to Cozumel in February, and the idea was to get certified here first so we would have more dive time there.
Like a few others, I am not sure I would recommend Cozumel as the first dive destination for newly certified divers. But, plenty of 'newbies' go there, and your decision is already made, so trying to dissuade you is probably ill-advised.
Picked a local shop with an older dive master with a good reputation for teaching the more “timid” individual.
TMHeimer:
The divemaster is really a certified instructor, no?
Pizz:
Yes he's definitely qualified. I'm a semi retired senior executive and read people very well, and he has the ability (IMHO).
Technically, you did not answer the question. The issue is not whether this person has the ability. The question is whether he is appropriately credentialed. Is he an Instructor (not just a DM), is he current / renewed / active with whatever agency he is affiliated with, and is he insured? By the way, if he is NOT current with whatever agency he affiliates with, and he sold you scuba instruction, you can probably demand a full refund, even though you have done academics and a couple of pool sessions. You may not get anything, beyond the satisfaction of sticking it to him. But, if he sold you a program that would presumably end in certification, and he is not credentialed to provide the certification, he misrepresented himself and his product.

The difficulty many of us probably have: we don't know what you were told when you signed up, we don't know what you paid. It could be that the instructor stated up front what would take place, but it didn't ring any bells with you (not surprising for novice divers). I can not, from afar, suggest nefarious motives, or disreputable business practices - I don't have information that allows me to evaluate that. But, as you describe it, the training appears to be less than optimum. Putting the training issues aside, however, you have established a business relationship, and you have every right, in fact an obligation, to hold the shop / instructor accountable for honoring the contract. Also, based on your subjective perceptions, you should ask him for his agency certification number, and then call that agency to try and determine if he is authorized to teach. Don't simply rely on his name, get his number.

The question is whether he is appropriately credentialed. Is he an Instructor (not just a DM), is he current / renewed / active with whatever agency he is affiliated with, and is he insured? By the way, if he is NOT current with whatever agency he affiliates with, and he sold you scuba instruction, you can probably demand a full refund, even though you have done academics and a couple of pool sessions. You may not get anything, beyond the satisfaction of sticking it to him. But, if he sold you a program that would presumably end in certification, and he is not credentialed to provide the certification, he misrepresented himself and his product.

I'm going to check with PADI. As far as what we were told before hand, not enough. . ., as far as cost 789 for two of us, as far as his business practices, - not nefarious, but just plain unprofessional. I'm not going to go into any more detail (and their is quite a bit more that I haven't talked about) other than my wife is going to take more training than me and he's doing his best to grind her out and just try to finish me up real quick. . .

I'll be careful in Cozumel. Thanks for the comment on Tobin. He will be my bpw provider.

As far as anything else regarding my current instructor, I'm just going to end this by saying this guy is bad enough I have NO problem walking away right now with only one set of books. I just got back from talking with Sports Chalet, and they have cleaned up their sales approach a lot to say the least. Right now for about 160 a piece they will have one three hour book session, a second 6 hour session and 3, three hours pool sessions- and their pools are set up for scuba only. Additional pool work if needed will be 45 bucks and I can get a referral for open water in Cozumel.

I'll keep posting as we continue. Maybe I'll have to eat some crow after we get started again, but I highly doubt it.

1. Three hour book session in shop – done.
  2. First pool session – We were told that most of his divers get the pool work done in one session. He scheduled a two hour session in a city pool. We had about an hour in the pool and according to him got about half way thru (my wife got the blame for not getting it all done).
    . . .
  3. I think he’s trying to jam us thru or at least run us off and keep money. I’m not comfortable at all.

As Jim mentioned, it's time to kick your instructor to the curb. I'd also tell him you want your money back. If he refuses, tell your credit card company and they'll take care of it.

"Most divers get the pool work done in one session" because that's all he gives them. It's not enough time for you or your wife to safely learn to dive. It's just enough to get him paid.

You are correct on #3

flots

Have your wife read the journal of my open water class that is linked in my sig line -- she'll feel much better.

Can you guys get up to Reno? I know some excellent instructors there.

No, unfortunately. The entire state of California is easier to get to than Reno from Vegas. . . .

Hey lady, one of the best reads I've had in a long time. Still have tears in my eyes from laughing - not at you by the way, with you, but you know what I mean. Just printed off all 20 or so pages and gave to my wife. Told her it was mandatory reading :wink:.

BTW, originally from Renton, wife is from Wenatchee. Moved here about the time you were being certified. Next time we're up there would love to buy you dinner. . . I KNOW your journal will help my wife greatly. . . .Thanks again. . .you're special. . . . TSandM???? kind of afraid to ask. . . :headscratch:

Pizz

---------- Post added December 19th, 2013 at 10:27 PM ----------

As Jim mentioned, it's time to kick your instructor to the curb. I'd also tell him you want your money back. If he refuses, tell your credit card company and they'll take care of it.

"Most divers get the pool work done in one session" because that's all he gives them. It's not enough time for you or your wife to safely learn to dive. It's just enough to get him paid.

You are correct on #3

flots

Wish I would have used a credit card - used a debit card - but it's worth a call to the credit union. Your comment on the pool sessions is right on. REALLY right on. . . .

TSandM stands for "Tizzle, Squeeter and Mini", who were our three cats when we started our horse breeding operation, TSandM Associates.

Come up here, and I'm going to want to take you diving, and show you how wonderful Puget Sound is!

Come up here, and I'm going to want to take you diving, and show you how wonderful Puget Sound is!

Having just moved to Monterey, CA after four years of living on the Puget Sound I couldn't agree more. I miss it very much.

-Adrian

May have been a mistake, but here is where we’re at... I’m not comfortable at all.

When a thread starts with someone stating they have a bad feeling about an instructor or a dive, they have already answered their own question. Bail on this guy, and definitely don't let him sell you anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom