I told you it was all over. This is the proof.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been to Roatan, and feel that it's a lost hope at this point.

Too bad.

Even at this late date, Roatan is comparatively virginal compared to most every other rock in the Mar Caribe.

The message has run true in this thread... it's still pretty fine, but success is running at full throttle. It's only a matter of time before it gets Cozumelified.

Go now, so in ten years, you can say, "I remeber when..."

This has to be one of the most negative threads on ScubaBoard. I get the feeling that some don't want us to visit Roatan.
Go before it's too late.
Have you tried Roatan Iguana, Turtle, The delicious barracuda or fried hog? I know most folks around my area get really jazzed abbout these types of things but I don't think there would be a lot of luck asking for it at a restaurant
The iguana sounds appealing. Not enough turtles for me to eat one. Barracuda and native pork - pass!

Go before it's too late.

The iguana sounds appealing. Not enough turtles for me to eat one. Barracuda and native pork - pass!

We tried to get iguana but the nice folks at Punta Gorda said not till April. Not sure why.

We tried to get iguana but the nice folks at Punta Gorda said not till April. Not sure why.
Saving them for January, February mating season...?

In that even plastic rusts on Roatan, I think the typical Roatan native appreciation of mechanical maintenance will likely cause this foolish enterprise to be short lived. Yet it will be leaving an all-but permanent blemish on the land. After many years of aerial lift (ie: ski charlift) accident investigations, I can hardly wait for the next big Cruise Ship thread describing the horrors of a "death in paradise" to arise. Let's face it, the Pod People love an adventure! Living life on the edge is what will draw them to this all-but un-pronounceable Island of Rah-ahh-taahn.
I have a visceral disgust for anybody who would get on that thing; indeed, for anybody who would take a cruise ship anywhere--at least until I meet them, and assuming they're not my sister, who likes an occasional cruise.:wink:

The debate about development vs conservation will inevitably provoke value judgments. An Aggressor voyage is okay, but a Carnival Cruise is verboten? I was sitting on the deck of the Telita, bemoaning the development that was then just coming to Papua, and one of my shipmates pointed out how easy it was to decry development from my air-conditioned berth; it was another thing if you lived in a hut battling nature to squeeze out a subsistence.

So what is a reasonable standard to make development decisions by? As with any commonly held resource (and the Roatan "ambience" is commonly held, even if individual bits of it are not), sustainability ought to be a minimum standard. When you are discussing the sustainability of a destination's ambience it necessarily entails some subjectivity, but most would agree, I think, that a ski lift for overweight cruise-ship passengers (wouldn't the rest of them, if any, rather hike?:wink:) is putting a serious dent in the sustainability of any island's ambience.

I haven't been to Cozumel in a long time, but at some point it will become Montego Bay, I think, and all of the benefits that accrued to the locals because of expanded tourism will be lost, and they'll still have the mess to try to live with. We live with zoning laws every day in developed nations--tacit acceptance that we have a common interest in weighing the impact of development. The islands that want a sustainable tourist industry will do the same.

The odd thing is that there is no Iguana season. It is illegal all year to harvest Iguana on the island yet people will ask for it. I guess it is its mild flavor, something like a cross between bald eagle and manatee that makes it so appealing that even those who at times seem to be environmentally concious will disreguard the rules.

Oh really? I thot they were quite common, even commercially raised. Florida would love to ship theirs over if they could catch them all.

Oh really? I thot they were quite common, even commercially raised. Florida would love to ship theirs over if they could catch them all.

And as i have mentioned for years, Florida could solve its Iguana problem quite easilly with one refridgerated container and half a dozen guys from Flowers bay given free reign on the Iguana. The problem is, Florida wants to do away with them in a peta friendly environmetally save the world type thing. A few guys from Roatan with their dogs and a few 22's and the Florida Iguana problem is solved and many are eating well on the Island. Maybe if Iguana were served in the US the Iguana would not be an issue. Iguana on Roatan run about 20 Lempira per pound, Dead or alive, In the US the pet stores get what? 100 times that?

Gawd, they are exotic varmints in Florida. Some might have colonized by natural means riding logs and swimming, but I think pet owners setting them free was the major cause of the problem. Reminds me of an old Taxi show from the 80s when I still had TV: one of the cabbies buys a retired race horse and set him free in Manhattan.

Anyone ever try Roatan rabbit? Too much like rats to me, not that there is a big difference between US rabbits and rats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom