I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE as an agency does zero followup with students that did not meet the class goals. That hardly seems like policing the instructors closely. If the instructors end up being an impediment rather than a help they have something to work on. I wish they would but there appears to be little interest to do so.

And that's a load of ****e....

Is it not true that all students can do a QA questionnaire? I have never outright failed a class -- I have provisionaled two, but I did QA on both.

Yes all students can fill up an online form reviewing the class and how the instructor did.

However, they make it mandatory to fill up the QA form if you want to get a card.
You will not be mailed a card until you have filled in the QA questionnaire.

The instructor pointed us to the QA form during the class, and also informed us that whatever we fill in will not be seen by the instructor himself.

I think that's doing a lot more than my experiences with other agencies, I'm not sure what more you can do if students who do not pass, do not want to fill it in.

Yes all students can fill up an online form reviewing the class and how the instructor did.

However, they make it mandatory to fill up the QA form if you want to get a card.
You will not be mailed a card until you have filled in the QA questionnaire.

The instructor pointed us to the QA form during the class, and also informed us that whatever we fill in will not be seen by the instructor himself.

I think that's doing a lot more than my experiences with other agencies, I'm not sure what more you can do if students who do not pass, do not want to fill it in.
What would GUE do to force students who didn't pass to fill out the form? :idk:

Not sure what the dude who brought this up expects from GUE.

Hell, you couldn't have two more opposing camps, IANTD and GUE....

Haha, ok, so that explains why my IANTD Tec instructor was not at all thrilled that I'm also taking GUE Fundies, hahahahahahahahahahaha.

... every time I get sucked down this rathole I come out thanking my lucky stars I don't live in cave country ... dive politics sucks, regardless of which agency the people doing it trained with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yep, It would be a lot better if we just tried to see what could learn from each other and respect the differences.
As a predominantly solo diver, either everyone is different from me.. or potentially my friends.

Is it not true that all students can do a QA questionnaire? I have never outright failed a class -- I have provisionaled two, but I did QA on both.

Well no or at least it was not the case when I took my class, has it changed? That admittedly was quite awhile ago so hopefully things are different now. I’ve never intended to offer a global criticism of GUE. They and DIR more generally have a lot of value. But my class did zero QA and we were not the only ones. At least for a period of time GUE HQ was pretty disengaged. Hopefully things are better now, but if not there is value to be had in understanding what happened when things go less than perfectly. I provisionaled one and was left with a bad enough taste that I did not want to go back.

Anyway got to run, I'm due at the beach to dive in 30 minutes.

... every time I get sucked down this rathole I come out thanking my lucky stars I don't live in cave country ... dive politics sucks, regardless of which agency the people doing it trained with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Something something so vicious because the stakes are so small...

I took my first gue class in 2005 and there was a QA.

I took my first Fundies class in 2004, and do not recall anything like that. That class bore little resemblance to Fundies today, however ... it started at 7 PM Friday evening and concluded around noon on Sunday. We rushed through the curriculum at a breakneck pace, and you got exactly one chance to get it right. Everyone in class ended up with a "provisional".

I took the class again with a different instructor a year later and it was completely different.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom