I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have you been in twin dees?

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

Dude, just quit talking. Even their competition respects them. They produce solid students. Their instructors really are that good, and they do big dives safely.

And me and PfcAJ pretty much can't stand each other. What other evidence you want? Hell, you couldn't have two more opposing camps, IANTD and GUE, ASA and WKPP.

We're about as opposite as you can get, yet we agree on this.

That really says something!

It's amazing that you can accept a training agency with less than a 15 year track record can be quantified as "where it's at" in a field (cave diving) that has been around in the us since the 60s with ALL the standards having been set by the NACD & NSSCDS.

How far apart can IANTD be with any Florida cave agency Tom Mount has trained or inspired about every cave diver and set the original nitrox world in motion ....

Hazy shades of winter... Must be the Florida water...

You ever heard the phrase, "What have you done for me lately?" What has the NSS-CDS or NACD done lately? Sure they pioneered the way. Just as Henry Ford pioneered the way. But do you drive a ford? I drive a VW.

I've been around a long time. I've seen the slide man. The slide in training. The slide in instructors. The slide in standards. I watched as fatalities were really bad, then lulled, and start climbing again.

JJ witnessed the slide, much like everyone else. The difference is, he decided to do something about it. We take away from that because it was only 15 years ago? Of course not. Frankly, if I could duplicate what GUE did 15 years ago, today... I would. You really fault them because they're not 40 years old but 15? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, considering their PROVEN track record. Get your head out of your butt man.

Answer the question. What has NACD or NSSCDS done lately? They've promoted safety, they've added steps, benches, tables. They've cleaned up sites, bought sites and managed sites. But what's the last project either of those agencies did that required even 300cu' of bailout. When's the last time either of those agencies pushed the end of any line, or even made it to the end of a line.

It's not Tom Mount or Jim or Bill that's doing the big dives.

Cushman PSAI, Draker IANTD, McCumber IANTD, Bernot IANTD, Jablonski GUE, etc. etc. etc. These are just some of the people doing 300' 6 hour plus dives.

No one calls asking for an NSSCDS Expedition Trimix Class. No one calls asking for an NSSCDS CCR Cert. Why do you think that is? It's the same reason people don't ask PADI for cave certs.

The list of GUE guys doing big dives is pretty extensive.

I'll try to do some surveying this week for you AJ. :)

Okay, I'm off to bed. I got a lot of packing and planning before I head north for my non NSS-CDS 8 hour, 300' dive. LOL

No, you're just not clear on the difference between 'adequate' and 'best'.

The best teacher is not the one who is the most demanding, but the one who has the talent to bring out the potential that lies in his students.

It's very hard to become a GUE instructor -- I know, because I investigated it, for me, at the recreational level. It's even harder, and far more expensive, to become a GUE technical instructor. You have to recertify every several years, and it's not trivial -- you have to present yourself, have your skills evaluated, and have your teaching technique scrutinized. There aren't very many GUE technical teachers, because it's so difficult to get there, and so hard to maintain. It makes for a high degree of predictability -- there is very little standards drift or curriculum variation, except in details.

I will not in any way defend GUE as having a uniform cadre of superb instructors. Some of them are great teachers and some are not. Some are suitable for one type of student, and some better for another. But of all the agencies, GUE keeps their staff most to heel; the curriculum is very structured, and the student can look up the standards for the class, and the criteria for evaluation, and all classes should be run (and generally are) according to those things.

I don't know of another agency, either cave or technical, that polices its instructional cadre as closely. THOSE are the reasons I push GUE, not because the agency is supporting some bad-ass exploration activity.

If we're getting into agency bashing, may I suggest the CDG?

The first cave dives done by its founders, oldest diving agency in the world (continuous since 1947) and has contributed miles and miles of new passage worldwide, which for an agency which at its peak has 200 members, punches way above its weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom