I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard lionfish go for $24.00 lb on the menus in Florida, but they are hazardous to catch and clean.

No, but for things like crown of thorns starfish and lionfish outside their natural domain, yes.

In the Atlantic / Caribbean they are an invasive species and if I see them I am going to attempt to kill them. If the dive situation allows it and the quality of the fish is good I may take it home and eat it, otherwise it gets dropped on the reef and is consumed. For their size they have a lot of meat and due to a small rib cage they produce a pretty thick filet.
In the Caribe they have no known predators other than divers plus a few random fish that have learned to eat them from humans. The next generation of fish will most likely not have this trait since from everything I have read it takes thousands of years for changes in fish habits across generations. Of the countless millions of lionfish in the Atlantic all appear to trace their DNA back to 6 or 7 fish less than 30 years ago which is an example of how out of control they are.
Here is a good article on them: The Worst Marine Invasion Ever

If you are still overly sympathetic towards them go out and pet one, regardless of fault the next 8-12 hours of agony will probably change your prospective towards them.

image.jpeg

It's good eating. It won't go to waste. Here is one recipe that I get from Internet:

"Put wasabi mayonnaise into a squeeze bottle and set aside. Combine sweet soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce together in a bowl and set aside. Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Cook lionfish fillets in skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until flaky and tender.Dec 16, 2014"

Eat The Enemy: 3 Ways To Cook Lionfish, The New King Of The Underwater Jungle | Huffington Post

Reactions: mdb
Any nusience wildlife, invasive or just overpopulation, should be culled - for food or not.

This year we have a vast overpopulation of suburban tree rats (grey squirrels). They are doing significant damage to lawns, structures, and contents of structures. I am killing them as efficiently (and humanely) as possible. Do I eat them - yeah right. But something does. There's a great horned owl living out back, a few hawks, and most likely some coyotes as well. Nothing goes to waste in nature.

That said, killing reef fish/ocean fish (or killing anything, for that matter) solely for the sake of killing is pathological.

yes hunting does serve a purpose .it keeps strong herds excreta healthy without it overpopulation and desieses set in i know this is a fish story but this story is about coyotes up in Canada.back in the 80s when fur coats were popular,trapers were getting around 80 dollars per pelt but peta put on such a show shaming fur coat owners that the market went stale;and pelts dropped to a couple bucks each,good right?wrong rabies and mange set in and decimated not only packs of coyotes but other animal breeds as well .we need hunting and fishing to keep populations health and balanced what we dont need are greedy assholes taking more than whats allotted

yes hunting does serve a purpose .it keeps strong herds excreta healthy without it overpopulation and desieses set in i know this is a fish story but this story is about coyotes up in Canada.back in the 80s when fur coats were popular,trapers were getting around 80 dollars per pelt but peta put on such a show shaming fur coat owners that the market went stale;and pelts dropped to a couple bucks each,good right?wrong rabies and mange set in and decimated not only packs of coyotes but other animal breeds as well .we need hunting and fishing to keep populations health and balanced what we dont need are greedy assholes taking more than whats allotted
The only hole in your theory is that humans tend to always take the biggest and best specimens for sport, which removes the healthiest specimens out of the gene pool. Whereas natural predators will take the easiest prey they can get without potential injury to themselves or too much wasted effort. This leaves the weakest of the heards for prey thus leaving the best specimens to reproduce.
Humans have it backwards.

But in the case of lionfish, humans created the problem so they need to try and fix it.
And in Socal there is a common movement to not take the largest lobsters over 8# or so. Let the big ones breed.

The whole lionfish invasion is an interesting thing from the perspective of diving culture. Recreational diving started with a huge emphasis on hunting (and gathering) fish, lobsters, crabs, abalone etc.

The industry moved away from that idea with “take only pictures and leave only bubbles” and those divers who continued to engage in hunting (spearfishing) - even to feed themselves and their families, were looked down upon and perceived as archaic or barbaric or pathological or irresponsible.

People accused these “sportsmen” of killing simply for the joy of it. Many divers would not dive with anyone who was carrying a speargun or spear. Someone who spoke about the challenge and enjoyment of stalking and shooting a fish were looked down upon.

These same people wanted their food wrapped in cellophane from the grocery store and never wanted to actually see a fish being harvested and wanted all the underwater creatures to be protected. If a spearfisherman was attacked by a shark, some people even felt the hunter “deserved” it because it was a just reward for their blood thirsty predilections.

The experts would even dismiss these attacks and categorize them as “provoked”. Even though spearfishing is probably the most environmentally responsible means to harvest fish; it was frowned upon in many circles.

Now we are going 180 degrees. Killing fish is FUN! It is acceptable - A great pass time.

There is no concern for the physical pain inflicted on the fish – Why, because they are lion – fish. These are BAD fish, so kill all you want, injure them and allow them to swim off bleeding and incapacitated - great! No worries, because you are “helping” the environment – no need to eat them or use them, just dump them under a ledge. You’re doing good and having FUN! Bad fish feel no pain, but pretty fish are intelligent and social animals and suffer horribly when speared…but aren’t Lionfish pretty? LOL.

Killing fish is back to being fun and acceptable – apparently “saving the environment” is an acceptable pursuit, but feeding your family- not so much. This blatant hypocrisy toward spearfishing is somewhat amusing, particularly from the perspective of someone who has been eating the fish he harvested for most of my life.

I’m all for killing lionfish. I’m all for using diving to help feed my family. I’ve eaten a few lionfish. It’s just interesting how the “culture” can change so rapidly. It’s probably a good thing that people are beginning to acknowledge that spearfishing is environmentally responsible and back to being socially acceptable.

I grew up in NE Pennsylvania.

The deer population is huge, no more natural predators and lots of natural habitat.

Many auto/deer accidents every year.

The current game laws allow for a buck season, a doe season, archery season-trying to cull the deer population.

You take it, you eat it-or provide it to someone who will. That was always the way we were taught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom