I want to know if some think it cool,to hunt for sport and not for food!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard lionfish go for $24.00 lb on the menus in Florida, but they are hazardous to catch and clean.
They really aren't hazardous to catch. An hawaiian sling spear, puncture prove gloves, scissors to cut off spines for some people, bucket to put them in, is all it takes. Lion fish ceviche is quite good, too.

’m all for killing lionfish. I’m all for using diving to help feed my family. I’ve eaten a few lionfish. It’s just interesting how the “culture” can change so rapidly. It’s probably a good thing that people are beginning to acknowledge that spearfishing is environmentally responsible and back to being socially acceptable.

That's the thing. There is nothing wrong with spear fishing, what so ever. I love to spear fish, hunt for lobster gather scallops, and just plain fishing. But there has to be some recognition and some effort made to encourage others to take a look at how the can be more ethical about this .

Merely just hunting them and not taking time to find out where you can take these fish for consumption or perhaps being able to prepare them yourself, I am referring to a more ethical approach. IMO.

Last edited:
I think that there should be a purpose for killing anything. I like to fill my freezer with fish and venison whenever possible. I am a pretty firm believer in you kill it you cook it, but I am willing to make exceptions for certain species such as coyotes.

I grew up in NE Pennsylvania.

The deer population is huge, no more natural predators and lots of natural habitat.

Many auto/deer accidents every year.

The current game laws allow for a buck season, a doe season, archery season-trying to cull the deer population.

You take it, you eat it-or provide it to someone who will. That was always the way we were taught.
That is pretty much message I am trying to pass on to some.

If you are still overly sympathetic towards them go out and pet one, regardless of fault the next 8-12 hours of agony will probably change your prospective towards them.[/QUOTE]

I can relate with being stung by some creatures. Here in CA I have encountered being stung by Sting Ray and
Sculpin. Not fun. But I do not think it would have an overall bearing on my perspective. If these guys can be eaten. I am merely saying don't just pass the message "KILL a LION FISH AND SAVE A REEF" instead
push another message!

"EAT A LION FISH AND SAVE A REEF"
Frank G

Last edited:
Reactions: mdb
I think that there should be a purpose for killing anything. I like to fill my freezer with fish and venison whenever possible. I am a pretty firm believer in you kill it you cook it, but I am willing to make exceptions for certain species such as coyotes.

What do you think about Lion Fish?

It is interesting. I can relate. I kill many pests (mice, rats etc..) and I have no problem with it. I am not sure of this one because there is an option that seems reasonable to be able to eat this. Which would make perfectly fine and maybe good for some to have this in mind.

The only hole in your theory is that humans tend to always take the biggest and best specimens for sport, which removes the healthiest specimens out of the gene pool. Whereas natural predators will take the easiest prey they can get without potential injury to themselves or too much wasted effort. This leaves the weakest of the heards for prey thus leaving the best specimens to reproduce.
Humans have it backwards.

But in the case of lionfish, humans created the problem so they need to try and fix it.
And in Socal there is a common movement to not take the largest lobsters over 8# or so. Let the big ones breed.
there is truth there that is why the regulate how many tags they hand out and yes alot do not play by the rules but when uit comes to trapping the old and week are usually the ones that go after the easy meals first

What do you think about Lion Fish?

It is interesting. I can relate. I kill many pests (mice, rats etc..) and I have no problem with it. I am not sure of this one because there is an option that seems reasonable to be able to eat this. Which would make perfectly fine and maybe good for some to have this in mind.

I'd prefer to cook them, I would not have a problem with someone killing them the same way that I shoot coyotes though. Some things are invasive and harmful to the environment and need to be removed.

I'd prefer to cook them, I would not have a problem with someone killing them the same way that I shoot coyotes though. Some things are invasive and harmful to the environment and need to be removed.

Coyotes are just a part of nature.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom