I want to switch my Gekko from the wrist mount to a console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwm1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone done this ? Will I have to get a new spg or can I go with the one I have now. I would like to add a compass also. So I guess my question is will I be able to get a console that I can put my Gekko,my current spg and a compass in?

Doug

and I made a mistake I ment to say spg instead of depth gauge,so I want my Gekko, my current spg & a compass in a console.

Sorry

Dougsubmersible pressure gauge

Yes you can do it. Odd though, most do just the opposite, usually once they gain more experience, myself included.

May I ask why you are wanting to do this?

So you like this wrist mount better? where's your compass?

I have to agree with Doc and say why? But each to his own. I have my computer on the right wrist, compass on my left and SPG on my left hip D-ring.
Kelly

Yes, you can get a console to hold them all. I have the Suunto console with SPG & computer to front and compass on the back, so it's shorter than putting 3 gauges in a row. It's modular so you can do different combinations.

Where do you dive, how often will you be using the compass? If you need the compass a lot you might find it less convienient in a console. If you use it infrequently, a console can be a good place to stash it (and therefore not forget it.)

I dive with 2 computers, one in console and one on wrist. I find the wrist one much more convienient to look at but the console is a handy storage place for the backup.

I own a Suunto computer also and the nice thing about Suunto is that you can change from a wrist to a console mount, the console is expandable. The different parts computer, compass, are all interlocking and your LDS should be able to order you the parts. I have used my VYTEC both ways, i prefer the wrist mount but it can be switched back and forth.:D

dwm1,

I'm not trying to be a smartazz. I'm trying to figure out where you draw the line in terms of pros and cons.

You can do almost anything, one way or another.

People once thought it was cool to have SPGs, Depth Gauges, and Computers/Timers on the front of a console, with more room for a capillary gauge strapped around it, and a slate on the reverse and sometimes a knife attached to that.

It ended up looking like a cinderblock that someone had coated in Aquaseal and rolled around in a diveshop.

It hung down like a medieval mace, and would routinely either knock chunks of coral out of the reef, knock out unwary noobs when it smacked them upside the head, or get hung up on something when the diver entered the water and snap off with great general excitement and a lot of noise.

Its generally considered a much cleaner approach to have a computer on the right wrist, a compass on the left wrist, and an SPG on the high pressure hose, clipped off to your BCD somewhere. The more crap you have hanging off the hose, the more issues you tend to have clipping it off.

OTOH, there are guys, for example guys who reach into holes to grab lobsters, who don't want a lot of technology strapped around their wrists. These guys might put a computer on the end of the hp hose.

There are reasons to go in different directions, depending on what you're doing, but there are advantages and drawbacks to both paths. Its generally helpful to be aware of them before you make a decision to do one thing or another.

That was why I asked why you wanted to go to a larger console rather than leave the unit on your wrist, where they tend to be reasonably handy. You CAN do it. But it tends on occasion to be problematic... It depends on what you're doing.

Thanks Everyone.
I like wearing my watch so I have a backup if the computer fails. I have the watch on my left, computer on my right, so I thought what if I move my computer to a console then I can wear a compass on my right wrist and then why not move computer and compass to a console and have it all together. I guess I could keep everything one my writs the way they are and get a retractable compass and hook it to my BC or just not wear my watch. Pros, cons I give up, for now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom