I wish my instructor would have...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sources other than the OW instructor such as the internet, books, magazines, SB can provide info. on more advanced diving, though obviously no one should ever consider substituting these for courses. With relatively short OW classes, as opposed to decades ago, they cover stuff that just gets you started. Even with that, there are many many things you just pick up after being certified. You think "why didn't we learn this"? Then you join SB and realize why.

I don't teach long hose because none of the rental gear the students get will have it. I do have a DM that helps me a good bit with the long hose setup. We show the class the setup and explain the pro/cons to it -- not that there are many cons.

I am a bit curious though, OP, why transitioning to a long hose/bungee backup and other skills (like what else??) was such a problem for you that you would call it humbling and embarrassing! I would bet that 99% of divers out there are trained with either an octo or air-integrated inflator (or both), so pretty much all divers moving to tec or that setup have to learn it. I don't know anyone that has had any trouble making the transition. What was so difficult? I am not trying to be sarcastic or whatever, I truly don't get what was so difficult.

Best,

I wish my OW instructor would have taught me to be comfortable with no mask breathing &/ or clearing before getting out of the course. She only had me do the mask clear & removal 1 time in the pool & one time in the OW. I basically fudged my way through it. Tell me I was comfortable with that bare bones instruction? Hell no! It was a 1 weekend class & pool & next weekend OW,.... Of course being new to the sport, I did not realize how much of a survival skill it really was, until after the course I tried to clear my mask again & could not do it & nearly panicked. When I decided to go into Adv. Nitrox & Deco procedures, my tech instructor had to work with me on getting comfortable with no mask breathing & clearing for 2 weeks to get me comfortable. At the end he had me sitting at the bottom of the pool for an hour with no mask & then clear my mask about a dozen times consecutively & successfully.

For my students, besides all the other skills, I ensure that they are bored with their skills before going to OW. When they are bored (the skill is comfortable & natural), they are ready for the next steps. Yes, sometimes it means I must do some extra work with them to get them to that point, but I also know that they will be comfortable & safe divers,.... That lets me sleep at night.

I wish my instructor would have...

My diving too has evolved and changed over the years but I believe that's the way it should be. I have taken courses from 4 different agencies with 5 different instructors so far and I do not regret for a moment any of the training, even if I eventually moved in other directions.

What challenges or frustrations led you to "wish" something had happened differently along the way in your diving career thus far?
It would be that my OW course was completed in a quarry and not ocean. I would have liked to have experienced waves, current and even dive boats for the first time while still in OW.

introduced the concept of trim (and our OW package included a PPB dive)

also:
buddy proximity
dive tables
surface intervals
further resources beyond saying "take AOW"

I kind of don't think I would have changed anything in my evolution of diving. I personally have always furthered my education and continually still do although the class list is getting smaller. From a diving skills stand point as well as from a gear stand point, was it a round about path to get where I am today? YES! But because I have seen the short comings in skills and techniques used I can relate better to my students and I am getting them to learn faster than I ever did. In regards to gear, I still have the same feelings due to all the wrong/ right gear I have used over the years. When people do listen, I have a great deal of success in getting them in to the right gear the first time around because of all of my personal trials and tribulations.

The ones I feel sorry for are the new students whos instructors haven't furthered their education and are still teaching skills negatively buoyant and have no concept of trim and control in the water column or they are just getting the wrong gear jammed down their throat. To most popular comments I get when interacting with customers from other places, "Why wasn't i taught this from the beginning", "Why didn't they tell me all my options and the pro & cons".

So in the end, I get why you started this thread, yes I can relate, no regrets, can't dwell on others, just try to run things the way I know how and create good, competent, comfortable divers along the way!

+1 on spending more time addressing buoyancy control and propulsion techniques/kicks.

On a lighter note, I wish my OW instructor had had a better memory and his own car so we wouldn't have had to drive him to the owner's house when he forgot the key to the shop door, and I wouldn't have had to spot him $10 to rent a mask at the beach when he forgot his. :)

This is a very thought-provoking thread, and the question asked is very reasonable. The thread produces six, somewhat visceral, reactions:

1. Hindsight is always (at least) 20/20, often it is 20/15. If I had known then what I know now, I might have done some things differently. Oh, dang, I forgot, we are talking about diving, not life in general.

2. I 'WISH' I had been born rich. Then I wouldn't have to allocate my financial resources in a somewhat thoughtful manner. I would just buy anything I wanted, and take any class I wanted, and travel anywhere I wanted, etc., etc., etc.
I wish my PADI open water instructor had knowledge of this type of diving, I might have learned appropriately.
3. At the risk of sounding like a PADI apologist, I would expand the wording of this question to include virtually all agencies and instructors. I don't know if your 'PADI Instructor' had knowledge of this type of diving, or simply (and not unreasonably) worked to prepare you to be a reasonably competent, reasonably safe OW diver - according to the general practices and standards of the certifying agency - who could then go forward and learn more, including more about different types of diving, different types of gear, etc. I think the statement applies to most agency training, not just PADI.

4. I 'WISH' - because I now believe it to be an absolute truth :))) - that ALL OW students were trained using a BP/wing, and a regulator configuration with a long(er) hose used as a primary and a bungeed necklace used generically as an alternate. For OW, recreational diving, I now believe that integrated alternate air sources / inflators are the devil's work, that the I3 is a major hindrance to the ability of any diver to advance from a novice to a competent manager of buoyancy and trim. (Please, those of you who use those, TAKE NO OFFENCE; I am engaging in a bit of hyperbole for the sake of discussion.)
What challenges or frustrations led you to "wish" something had happened differently along the way in your diving career thus far?
5. Realistically, I 'WISH' I has started diving earlier. That is another matter, entirely, however.

6. I 'WISH' I had more time and money to formally train - take courses that are - NOW - of interest to me. Those courses would not have been of any interest to me as an OW student, however. But, like several others, I appreciate the intrinsic learning value that has come through my meandering development as a diver. I believe I am a better diver as a result and - more importantly - I am a better instructor as a result.

What would I want to have 'happened differently' along the way in my diving career (and what I now try to do as an instructor because I have the benefit not only of the experience of how I trained, but also the experience of what I have subsequently learned - which wouldn't have meant anywhere near as much had it not been for how I was originally trained):

a. More emphasis on buoyancy control AND TRIM at the OW level.
b. Earlier introduction to the variety of gear configurations available.
c. Greater emphasis on efficient propulsion techniques at the AOW level.
d. More opportunities for informal 'workshop' learning at the OW level.

I spent a significant portion of my adult life as a tenured member of the faculty of a nationally prominent health science school in a major state university. I often heard faculty colleagues (usually, the younger 'climbers') tell students that they prepared for their career from 'Day 1', and that hard work, and a clear sense of direction were critical to success. I, on the other hand, have always told my students that my (more than moderately successful, if I may be so immoderate) career was a lucky accident. The key was being prepared to adapt to whatever came my way. I am humbled by many things, but seldom embarrassed by what I do not (yet) know. There are people who write entire books about things that I do not (yet) know. I am ALWAYS frustrated by what I have yet to learn - so much to learn, so little time. Maybe, I should be a Buddhist.

Last edited:
I've not been diving long, 4 years and 100+ dives. Have I regrets on some of the dive kit I've bought, absoilutely. The key thing is to learn from the good bits and the not so good bits. Would I have bought a jacket BCD? No I would have bought some form of back inflate BC. I think one of the key things is to identify your diving goals - near term and (if possible) long term and then work towards them. I myself identified, for example that I would potentially be diving buddiless and therefore started to look at what equipment I needed to be more self sufficient (spare mask, pony bottle, etc) along with understanding what it means to be self reliant if the poo hit the fan. I've also used SB to help with my decisions. For example of I'm not diving with my pony bottle I'll dive a long hose arrangement.

I had an absolutely outstanding instructor in my early years. He primarily taught commercial diving and did PADI on the side. I learned at the university. We had organized it ourselves and we had a pretty good budget to work with. We also had access to the pool at the university, which was an Olympic sized pool with a high diving pool next to it that was 10m deep.

We also had a whole trimester (13 weeks) for them to teach us. And they pulled out all the stops. We even did things like giant strides from a 3m diving board, which is something I experienced years later diving from a monster of a diving ship in the North Sea, and throwing the full set of gear on the bottom of the pool in the deep end and swimming down to it to put it on.

There were other "slight" differences between my OW course and a standard one as well but I'll leave it at that. My instructor eventually closed his shop and became a hot-shot at PADI Canada. This was in the late 80's.

The one thing our instructor *didn't* do (getting to the point) was to ask the students how they felt about their own progress. What I would have liked is for my instructor to "take a pulse" from time to time and ask me if there was anything that I wanted to spend more time on..... and there was. I was never confident that my buoyancy control was good enough. He was confident, but I wasn't satisfied with my hovering and I wanted to spend more time on it, which I didn't get.

When I became an instructor I decided to adopt a more inclusive style. Every debriefing I give starts with the question, "how did that go for you" and then to listen to what the students say about their own progress and issues.... I also ask at the end of every session if there is anything they would like me to give more attention to.... and often there is. It's not always what I think they need to learn but I do try to accommodate their wishes and to include those things that will give them an enhanced feeling that they got what they wanted out of the course.

I wish my own OW instructor had done that.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom