I wish someone else in Cozumel would start doing Nitrox fills...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have they attempted to "justify" the price increases?

It's like price increases with ANYTHING. Increased overhead.

Sounds like the Cozumel group of Dive Shops needs a professional business person on the island to represent them in such matters. This is what I do for a living (around the globe including MX) and never have I just sat back and accepted price increases or unfair treatment. Sometimes you accept them while you work on something else, but that is not what this sounds like.

I am for hire :D

I think 10 dollars extra is way to much. My parents did raise me to be a cheap person but I think that adding 20 to 30 percent extra per dive seems like a lot to me. us I think with the volume that is done there that it would make sense for a dive op to get a membrane style compressor to get nitrox for cheap. I would go to a dive shop where I could get nitrox over air for just a small price increase.

I think 10 dollars extra is way to much. My parents did raise me to be a cheap person but I think that adding 20 to 30 percent extra per dive seems like a lot to me. us I think with the volume that is done there that it would make sense for a dive op to get a membrane style compressor to get nitrox for cheap. I would go to a dive shop where I could get nitrox over air for just a small price increase.

Then I really suggest you stay away from Playa del Carmen where nitrox fills are $15 each! I've also seen nitrox ALOT higher than Cozumel in other parts of the world and elsewhere in the Caribbean. Livaboards and resorts with their own compressors can offer weekly discounts and rates, because they;re filling their own...but that's just not the way it works here. Everywhere is different and procedures are different in every dive destination I've been to.

ScubaSteve:
Sounds like the Cozumel group of Dive Shops needs a professional business person on the island to represent them in such matters. This is what I do for a living (around the globe including MX) and never have I just sat back and accepted price increases or unfair treatment. Sometimes you accept them while you work on something else, but that is not what this sounds like.

I am for hire

You obviously don't understand how things work around here and with the families that "own" the island. The family that owns the fill station is one of THE families on the island. :wink:

And I'm sure there's some huge "permit" barrier to keep anyone else from filling Nitrox and offering it to other dive shops. That would be ideal. Some competition to stabilize the pricing.

Ideally a bunch of dive ops there in Cozumel would form a co-op and buy their own membrane filler. Fill what they need for their divers, sell the extras to other dive shops....

I've begun to really look at this when I book trips for our dive group. All of us are Nitrox certified now and we look for it wherever we go. $100/week is very acceptable. We're really looking closely at Buddy Dive in Bonaire for our next trip. Air or Nitrox, same price....

-Charles

You are right. My experience is on the Mainland for Mexico but I stand by my experience. I do ask why one would bother to complain if they are not going to do anything other than sit back and take it? I still stand by my last statement that something can be done to make it better....it is a matter of somebody having the ability to do it. It may not be quick and it may need to be creative, but something can almost always be done to get around any problem.

You mentioned the fact that others now have their own fill stations so obviously somebody has some business sense and avoided the situation. The rest of the businesses that choose to only sit back and complain will have to suffer I suppose.

You are right. My experience is on the Mainland for Mexico but I stand by my experience. I do ask why one would bother to complain if they are not going to do anything other than sit back and take it? I still stand by my last statement that something can be done to make it better....it is a matter of somebody having the ability to do it. It may not be quick and it may need to be creative, but something can almost always be done to get around any problem.

You mentioned the fact that others now have their own fill stations so obviously somebody has some business sense and avoided the situation. The rest of the businesses that choose to only sit back and complain will have to suffer I suppose.

Again, not that easy...and I wasn't the one who started this thread complaining. I merely commented on someone else's post and attempted to provide additional information. Your comment that the rest of us don't have the business sense to avoid it is unfounded and spoken without an understanding of the entire situation.

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time on this...you're shooting the messenger.

Sorry christi but I am not shooting the messanger. I am trying to get accross that there is almost always a solution to a business problem
Such as this and it is never "that easy" (but the solution still exists). I was not picking on anybody. I just look at where a lot of companies are today and blame most of their problems easily on poor or mismanagement.....and yet the taxpayer is bailing them out because they complained. In business, I prefer a proactive problem solving approach rather than the other option.

I too will step away and allow the thread to move forward in it's intended direction.

Again, not that easy...and I wasn't the one who started this thread complaining. I merely commented on someone else's post and attempted to provide additional information. Your comment that the rest of us don't have the business sense to avoid it is unfounded and spoken without an understanding of the entire situation.

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time on this...you're shooting the messenger.

Posted via Mobile Device

Then I really suggest you stay away from Playa del Carmen where nitrox fills are $15 each! I've also seen nitrox ALOT higher than Cozumel in other parts of the world and elsewhere in the Caribbean. Livaboards and resorts with their own compressors can offer weekly discounts and rates, because they;re filling their own...but that's just not the way it works here. Everywhere is different and procedures are different in every dive destination I've been to.
Other Caribbean destinations I've been to range from $10-15 (most $12-15) extra per tank for nitrox, and the cost of a 2-tank boat trip with basic service runs quite a bit higher the Cozumel dive ops in that category too.

In places where there is lots of shore diving we can buy a weekly unlimited upgrade to nitrox and that's cheaper, but comparing that wouldn't be apples to apples since Cozumel isn't one of those places.

Sure, I could find cheaper diving and nitox in Indonesia, Asia, and maybe some other half way around the world places, but I can't get there in under 5 hrs and under $500 for air. Instead of getting hung up on the cost of the individual components I tend to look at complete cost of my trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom