Iberostar/Policy for Charging for Dive Op pickups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Christi - I checked with Joyce at Blue Magic Scuba, and you are right; they aren't picking up there anymore either. In fact, she said it was you who alerted her to this 'new policy' and they have not picked up any clients there since this started. She also mentioned the 'boycott' but didn't tell me who the other ops were that are in your group boycotting the hotel; but good for all of you. It sounds like a horrible policy and I hope the Iberostar will see the error of their ways soon. But, in the meantime they aren't getting my business!!

Just got back and have not wrote the travel log yet but do know about this issue. THe backround is that that Iberosar owns Dressel. I used Palancar and had no issues although the security guard was on the dock for each of my departures. Dive Palancar gave me the usual great service that I have had with them in the past and I have to say as far as boycotting the IB, I really enjoyed it. I got an upgraded room without asking and was able to use rinse facilities too. Dressel really wanted to get me on one of their dives, but I told them that I did not want to pay for a pool check and I would consider it if they matched prices. From what I know, Palancar and MArtin pick up there and maybe Allison so there are options. Again Palancar treated me like a king to the point of allowing me to bring guests (wife and niece) on the shallow boat with no mess. IB will not learn from a boycott, they will learn from watching others use the dock with ops that play the game.

I'm wondering about the current state of affairs. My wife and I are booked to stay there for the first time in November. We usually stay at the Presidente but she wants to try something different. We are booked to dive with Aldora for the week as we have used them for about the last 15+ years and always love their service and sites; not to mention the tanks. Are there still issues with pick-up and drop off?

I'm wondering about the current state of affairs. My wife and I are booked to stay there for the first time in November. We usually stay at the Presidente but she wants to try something different. We are booked to dive with Aldora for the week as we have used them for about the last 15+ years and always love their service and sites; not to mention the tanks. Are there still issues with pick-up and drop off?

I would check with Aldora before booking the Iberostar. Only the dive shops can answer this question for you because it is up to each individual operation if it is worth it for them to pay the flat minimum fee to pick up guests at the hotel based on how many divers they typically have staying there.

Most dive shops have chosen not to and pick up at the beach adjacent to the Iberostar - but I can speak with certainty for Aldora.

Other hotels that charge pier fees only charge a daily fee based on actual usage, which is much more reasonable - and no one really has a problem with this. It's the flat minimum fee regardless of how many divers are picked up that is the issue with Iberostar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom