Ice dives - help me choose a regulator from my collection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two opportunities do take an ice diving class in the very near future. I'm trying to decide which regulator set to take along. From these, which would you pick, and why?

1. ScubaPro MK-17/G250v (singles or doubles)

2. Poseidon Xstream (doubles)

3. Argonaut Kraken DH with (pick) HOG Classic, HOG Zenith, SP G250, SP 080HP. SP 109, SP156

4. USD DA Aquamaster w/ Phoenix & HPR upgrades (again, pick octopus as above).

5. HOG D1 cold / Classic (singles or doubles)

I have the utmost confidence in all these, and all will work in conjunction with my dry suit. Part of me is leaning toward the dh regs just to stir the pot.... Also could sling a pony for redundancy, or use h-valved singles.

Curious to what you think.....

Last edited:
The Poseiden xstream deep Mk3 is authorized for cold water service by the navy, don't know how similar xtreme is.

IIRC, I have the deep and duration seconds. Not sure the first, but it is the "older" one needing an external opv

(sorry, bad spelling - Xstream)

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience with ice diving or double hose regulators, but I did a quick search on Google, because I somehow assumed that double hose regulators might have some advantages in cold water.

From what I have read, the kraken would be an almost perfect choice. (Can provide a link if you wish)
But only with no octopus attached to it.
The Poseidon seems like a good backup from what I have heard.

By "singles" you mean one tank, not one first stage, right?

I can dive single or double tank with my single hose regulators (have h-valved singles and manifold doubles). If diving a dh, it would be single tank, maybe an h-valved with a diaphragm first on the outbound post if I can fit it, or sling my pony for redundancy. Many options (too many gear options).

I will be consider a metal 2nd stage, like the Mares Abysm II, it suppose to be the best there is for Ice-diving so far a test, or maybe a Aqualung Glacia and leave the Poseidon for backup or vice versa, you are in for some pain and short dives.

Make sure your regulator are properly calibrated, as Cold water and a little of too fast breathing rate and you are in for a free-flow.

Better practice your tank valves shutoff drill, and that you can reach them both as single back mount or doubles and that you can reach them easily with that dry-suit and that thick thermal undersuit, you may find some range of motricity limitations.

Nope, they are Xstreams. I believe it is a mk3 first (looks just like one) but thought there were recent tweaks it may not have as it is older....

(sorry, bad spelling)

Last edited:
these two.... I am using standard hoses, thus an OPV is required....

upload_2017-2-2_17-6-54.png
upload_2017-2-2_17-7-20.png

Many of us up here use the Mk17/G260 when ice diving with no issues. Several others use their Mk25/S600 (with the metal housing/barrel) with no issues. The Mk17 is preferred since it is sealed.

Back
Top Bottom