Ice dives - help me choose a regulator from my collection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the MK17. Dive it for technical and ice diving. I used to dive the R109 on it but had 3 free flows with it and went to the G250 and S600 for backup.

I second the MK17. Dive it for technical and ice diving. I used to dive the R109 on it but had 3 free flows with it and went to the G250 and S600 for backup.

Interesting... with the big hunk of brass that the 109 is, I'd think it was a better heat sink and less prone to free flow potential... To date, my only free flows (and I am speculating the reason) were due to really cold water, and high IP, and I believe it was a first stage issue, not the second stage. IP in my MK-17 was at 150 for some reason (run them at 125 here in the cold). Both times it went south on drills (stress).... My bad for not verifying it.... I have a S555 that has been converted to an S600 and has the metal air barrel, but I don't feel it is a suitable cold water regulator. Some speculate that the new plastic orifice in the second stage is a better idea as it may not ice up as easily as the metal one, but I haven't been able to test this.

I'd go with the Poseidon Xstream (your comments suggest you have Mk II 1st stages) as the first choice and the double hose as choice #2. Poseidon has had 3 variations of Xstream 1st stage designs to date. The original was in 2 formats; straight body or 90 degrees with no IP adjust cap or OP valve and a limited number of IP ports. Mark II added adjustable IP cap, and more LP ports. Mark III added the OP valve to the Mk II design. All variations are cold water rated.

Thanks for that information. Yes, it appears I have the MK II as it has the adjustable IP cap, but does not have the integral OPV. Didn't know the nomenclature, and google was not my friend in trying to find out about potential differences or models. There is no Poseidon dealer even close to here, so information is limited.

If you are worried about using "standard" hoses with your regulator, you can add an OP valve into an LP port ... The Poseidon hose that came with the regulator has a built in OP valve at the 2nd stage connection.If for some reason the hose OP valve blows when you are diving, you still get air to the 2nd stage and can breathe it as usual :)

If you are worried about using "standard" hoses with your regulator, you can add an OP valve into an LP port ... The Poseidon hose that came with the regulator has a built in OP valve at the 2nd stage connection.If for some reason the hose OP valve blows when you are diving, you still get air to the 2nd stage and can breathe it as usual :)

Yeah, I know that. I installed OPV valves on the LP ports when I switched to a long hose/short hose configuration as the cost of Poseidon hoses is insane when you need the integral hose/opv they make. The regs I bought (used) came with hose adapters and OPV assemblies as well as Poseidon hoses (too long and too short respectively). I dove them last year, and do really like them.

I could have sworn I read some us navy test results on regulators in cold water recently but I'll be damned if I can find at the moment. Try searching for such a thing. I know I've read it!

Interesting... with the big hunk of brass that the 109 is, I'd think it was a better heat sink and less prone to free flow potential...

Two of the free flows I believe were caused by the lever messing up due to it being mispositioned. The 3rd free flow was a full blown freeze flow as I was diving a river in the middle of February in a good current huffing and puffing. The water was so cold that ice had started to form on the bottom! The MK 17 and 109 was just encased with ice and it took a bit of effort to keep the mouthpiece clear of the building ice and hurt like hell as the ice started to build up in my mouth. I have pictures I can post later on another device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom