Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:doctor: It has been a while since I instructed ice diving but I wonder if there are many of you out there who would try it and what the comments are of those of you who have? I think it is a great way to expand your diving knowledge and to continue diving when you think that white stuff on the ground means your diving is over for the season. Any of you Florida boys interested in learning to ice dive?

Yes, I am planning on doing it this winter. There's plenty of ice around here. March is when my LDS is running their course.

Hoping to this winter.

Diverlady

Oh, you mean go NORTH into the cold to go diving.

hmmmm

Sounds like fun but not this year.

thanks
:D

You got it all backwards GDI - when things finally ice over here, I go to Florida to go diving.....

Whats this talk of "icediving"? That just sounds like nonsense to me.....bbbrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

SS

I just checked your profile.... I see your insanity originated here in the North, so I guess that explains quite a bit too....

A sign of insanity - your diving in FLORIDA now - why would you go North and turn your lips blue?

Good luck getting those CAD divers from Florida under the ice.....

SS

I am ridiculously addicted to scuba diving.

Learning to ice dive was a necessity for me.

We never stop diving here - when the ice is too thin to stand on, we punch holes through and dive through those with ropes.

As soon as it gets thick enough we use our chainsaws to get to the water.

We enjoy ice diving. It's not as enjoyable as regular diving just due to the amount of work involved, but it's fun. It gets me in the water :)

Actully, I thought he was refering to ice diving in Florida, which of course means the cocktail hour!:)

Cheers

Jim

By the way, like Omicron I too am already ice certified and saw my way through the water in the Wisconsin winter.

My girlfriend and I have just completed our basic OW, but one day we are planning on moving away from Fl up to the north (hopefully NW) and doing this kind of course as well as dry suit and some others. I would imagine its pretty tough to organise the course from here! I know there is plenty to learn before we get to be able to get into the ice side.

Most of the lakes commonly used by divers up here in the "Great White North" are still wide open. A little chilly, and the air temp is hovering just above or below freezing temps, depending on the day. But If your hardy (make that fool-hardy) and have a good wet suit, or realistic and have a dry suit. This time of year is just about the best. Visibility is well over 100 feet, no algae, no students stirring up the bottom, no boats, in short its perfect.

As for diving under the ice, the vis is even better due to the lack of wave action stirring up the water. On the down side, you are in one heck of a large overhead environment. Even though you have great visibility, you can still end up loosing your way back and end up dead. That is why we always use a safety tether, surface support to manage the line, and safety divers to go in on a moments notice to locate you if you fail to respond and the line cannot be pulled in. I have seen people on this board ponder the question of whether or not ice diving is “technical” diving, or just recreational diving. My answer to that is simply it is both. We dive under the ice for recreation, but must follow strict guidelines and protocols far in excess of what open water diving requires in order to ensure a safe weekend of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom