ID needed for some object @BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen it... and I often take a direct heading from the Met fields back to the wall... I might be a bit further out though because I usually hit the cannon then the bend in the wall . Might be worth tossing an SMB up one of these days when you find it again and take some bearings so we check it out in person... :)

I take it when you say you "hit the cannon then the bend in the wall", you turn to parallel the slope when you reach the cannon? Otherwise, you'll be well west (towards the beach) of the bend if you stay on the same course to the wall.

Guy

Guy, maybe Matt can be of more help, I honestly don't remember all the details and we were lost at the time. Well, not lost lost, we were exploring. We did not cross or find the big pipe (I know the pipe leads to the met fields) and we didn't go deeper than 40' and it was the first dive of the day, we started around 8. I think.
But if I find it again, can I name it after me? :)

Guy, maybe Matt can be of more help, I honestly don't remember all the details and we were lost at the time. Well, not lost lost, we were exploring. We did not cross or find the big pipe (I know the pipe leads to the met fields) and we didn't go deeper than 40' and it was the first dive of the day, we started around 8. I think.
But if I find it again, can I name it after me? :)

Well of course you can name it after yourself.

And Matt can name it after himself, and I can name it after myself, and . . . :wink:

Guy

I take it when you say you "hit the cannon then the bend in the wall", you turn to parallel the slope when you reach the cannon? Otherwise, you'll be well west (towards the beach) of the bend if you stay on the same course to the wall.

Guy

Yes we parallel the slope... clip off to kick up the slope... One thing we don't do on scooters is make big (10FSW+) depth adjustments.

Kristina, guess we'll have to find the object again and take more pics/mark the spot or lug it back to the beach ;p

On that note, I vote we name it "Kristina's-wheel-like-thing-a-ma-jiggy :D

Well of course you can name it after yourself.

And Matt can name it after himself, and I can name it after myself, and . . . :wink:

Guy

Kristina, guess we'll have to find the object again and take more pics/mark the spot or lug it back to the beach ;p

Aha, you wouldn't have been part of the crew that moved the anchor, would you? (*&%&^#$@@$^^%* screwed up my map:D)

Getting depth, time, and some surface lineups would help the rest of us find it. If you don't have an SMB or lift bag, plastic water bottles work just fine as a temporary buoy while you're getting your lineups, or you can clip a line off on your BC (NOT recommended) to keep you in place. Just be sure to loosen or remove the cap of the water bottle before you enter the water, or else it's likely to shoot out of your pocket when you open it. It's much easier if you fill it with air underwater.

If you don't have a reel or spool, you can use just about any line you like that's long enough, as it will be a one time thing so re-winding it around a dowel is no big deal. As long as it's small enough to allow you to knot it around the neck of the bottle under the flange, you're good to go.

Guy

Funny that you should mention that Guy, as I did have my SMB & reel with me at the time....just didn't think of it. I'll have to carry an empty water bottle with me next time

Aha, you wouldn't have been part of the crew that moved the anchor, would you? (*&%&^#$@@$^^%* screwed up my map:D)

Getting depth, time, and some surface lineups would help the rest of us find it. If you don't have an SMB or lift bag, plastic water bottles work just fine as a temporary buoy while you're getting your lineups, or you can clip a line off on your BC (NOT recommended) to keep you in place. Just be sure to loosen or remove the cap of the water bottle before you enter the water, or else it's likely to shoot out of your pocket when you open it. It's much easier if you fill it with air underwater.

If you don't have a reel or spool, you can use just about any line you like that's long enough, as it will be a one time thing so re-winding it around a dowel is no big deal. As long as it's small enough to allow you to knot it around the neck of the bottle under the flange, you're good to go.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom