ID needed for some object @BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny that you should mention that Guy, as I did have my SMB & reel with me at the time....just didn't think of it. I'll have to carry an empty water bottle with me next time

If you've got an SMB it's probably easier to use that, especially if it's got an overpressure valve. If not, no big deal. When getting lineups, I find it easiest to tie off the line from my reel to whatever it is I'm marking, then ascend with the reel and SMB to the surface. Put as little air in the SMB as you can at the bottom, just enough to make it neutral with the weight of the reel or even less. Once you're on the surface fully inflate the SMB if it isn't already, then reel in until you've got the thing hanging as close to vertical as you can, with enough exposed to easily see it.

Once you take your bearings and/or get your lineups, deflate the SMB (if you can remove and stow it before you descend it helps keep it out of your way, but it isn't essential), then descend slowly while reeling in the line.

When using a bottle I like to install and/or tighten the cap when I get to the surface, as otherwise the bottle is likely to flop on its side and maybe fill and sink. Keeping the reel line as taut as you can with an SMB will pull a bottle underwater if there's any signficant wave height, so you typically need to leave a foot or two of slack.

It's also possible to send the bottle/SMB up from below at the end of the line, then tie off the reel around the object you're marking. This is easier for the ascent, but I find it's not as convenient for the descent back down, unless you're overweighted by a few pounds. You pretty much have to leave some air in the bottle/SMB to keep the line taut while you're reeling, unless your buddy stays at the surface and descends with the end of the line, maintaining a slight positive buoyancy while you reel from below. You really don't want any slack in the line while you're reeling in, to keep it from jamming between the frame and spool of the reel (bird nesting), and to avoid it wrapping around any kelp in the area.

Guy

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom