IDC shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, so far they look pretty good. I am going to e-mail them today to ask a few things. The dates work well, and I know I can get more inexpensive accommodation than what's being offered at El Galleon. I know that sounds a bit tacky, but I've also got to figure in a flight to/from Manila. Their job placement service is appealing. Although I've got a job right now, if I'm not renewed next September it may be a temporary measure of employment and something to do while I look for another job in my field.

ASIA DIVERS - Many reasons to go there! The IE tests at Asia Divers so you know the ground on test day. I did mine there years ago. The better choice for most going to the PI for IDC. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I trust Warren Dixon so much I am sending my Instructor Candidate there.

while on the topic of IDC... in 3 years i'll be eligible for a sabbatical: 1 year with pay and no work... (ok a minor thing about some sort of output, but that's easy for me)...

i'm seriously considering going OWSI... but not to teach full time (basically be there to teach my students and friends who want to get an OW cert)...

i haven't done my DM course (yet) because i don't have the time for an internship...

is it worth it to get an OWSI cert?

Jag

ASIA DIVERS - Many reasons to go there! The IE tests at Asia Divers so you know the ground on test day. I did mine there years ago. The better choice for most going to the PI for IDC. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I trust Warren Dixon so much I am sending my Instructor Candidate there.

That's actually a good point. I'm very glad to hear you had a good experience, and I am most definitely giving them a look. I've sent an e-mail asking a couple of questions, and am waiting to hear back before I start making financial arrangements. For me, it's coming down to whether I want to go to the Philippines or to Bali. Bali is closer for me (7.5 hours vs. 10 to Manila), and would also be cheaper to fly to. On the other hand, it would be kind of a full circle to do IDC at PG. I got OW certified with Sabang Inn in 2006, and have fond memories of PG. So I do remember where El Galleon is (to the left and walk a while from Capt'n Gregg's; Sabang Inn is turn right and walk a while...).

while on the topic of IDC... in 3 years i'll be eligible for a sabbatical: 1 year with pay and no work... (ok a minor thing about some sort of output, but that's easy for me)...

i'm seriously considering going OWSI... but not to teach full time (basically be there to teach my students and friends who want to get an OW cert)...

i haven't done my DM course (yet) because i don't have the time for an internship...

is it worth it to get an OWSI cert?

Jag

A minor thing with output... now if you could work diving in there somehow, you'd be golden.

I dunno re. getting the OWSI certificate. I'm kind of like you-- I've got a full-time job, and scuba is a hobby. I'm looking into it because I'm a member of a dive club here, and we need instructors. I see this as a way of giving back to my club, as the club has done a lot for me. I also see it as another skill, or a temporary vocation I could potentially do short-term while looking for a job in case this job doesn't work out. It would also be a way to take a career break if I were financially comfortable to do so.

So I think it's a personal decision. Some people don't want the responsibility; on the other hand, you can do it strictly for the knowledge too.

A minor thing with output... now if you could work diving in there somehow, you'd be golden.

I dunno re. getting the OWSI certificate. I'm kind of like you-- I've got a full-time job, and scuba is a hobby. I'm looking into it because I'm a member of a dive club here, and we need instructors. I see this as a way of giving back to my club, as the club has done a lot for me. I also see it as another skill, or a temporary vocation I could potentially do short-term while looking for a job in case this job doesn't work out. It would also be a way to take a career break if I were financially comfortable to do so.

So I think it's a personal decision. Some people don't want the responsibility; on the other hand, you can do it strictly for the knowledge too.
that's expensive knowledge considering there's an annual due for dive pros...

the output's easy... do a short film or documentary on some underwater something-something and i'm golden hehehehehe

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom