Ideas on how to organize a relief effort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, everyone. I've been coordinating US donations to Xroja Cozumel for the past several months. I haven't gotten through to the leadership there today so I don't know their situation.

As the transportation of goods will be very difficult for a while, I'm only accepting money donations now.

Please make your donations through me. Independently-mailed, dollar-denominated checks will take weeks to arrive and incur unnecessary fees when deposited. Wired funds must be converted to pesos and are subject to $20-25 cable fees -- the bank, not the cause, makes out on that deal.

Please email me directly if you'd like to make a donation. I will accept almost anything: PayPal**, MasterCard, VISA, American Express, checks, cash or ACH. I have a currency-exchange brokerage account and will consolidate your donations to assure that as much money possible gets to Xroja quickly.

My email is pcpny@earthlink.net

Thank you,
Debby Bollag

**As I don't have a merchant account, I can only accept PayPal transfers from bank accounts. If you'd like to use a credit (not debit) card, please send me your phone# and I'll call you.

Johnoly from Scubadiving.com organized a Divers helping Divers fund during Hurricane Emily where donations were accepted through Paypal and then tranferred to Christi and distributed directly to out of work DMs, boat captains and dive workers directly affected. Although he is currently under a hurricane watch himself (he lives in FL), he has reactivated the fund to help with those affected by Hurrican Wilma - the webpage is located at www.cozumelrelief.com. This is strictly a grassroots effort of divers directly helping divers...but Christi is involved and I know that the money went to folks last time who were in desperate need and I trust both John and Christi implicitly. If you're comfortable doing donating to this fund, the money will go directly (in the form of cash) to these folks.

If you're *not* comfortable with this fund, there's also a link on the page to donate to the Mexican Red Cross for a more "traditional" donation option.

I am sure that there will be much effort in getting people OUT of Coz for awhile.

Until things stabilize, there isn't much that we can do besides donate. Maybe in a few weeks, officials will allow volunteers such as ourselves to arrive with a relief effort.

Yahoo news has a report on Cancun, and then a section on Coz.
Reports say that there is so much damage to the piers, that boats with supplies cannot dock.
When they are able to clear the runway and declare the airport safe to receive flights, food, water, and basic necessities for survival will be flown in. As of now, according to the article, there is no food or water at any store, available on the island.
Helicopters will be used for supplies and evac, until larger boats and airplanes can get to the island.

Lets stay on top of this so that we can possibly put together a Cozumel diver relief/rebuilding effort in a few weeks.

Man, this is tough.

I made donations both to Christy's fund and also to Cruz Roja Cozumel. Don't forget all the local people who make your stay so much fun like the waiters at Casa Denis. We opened our hearts and pocketbooks to the people of New Orleans after Katrina. This is Cozumel's Katrina and if it is only $5 to each, I'm sure it would be of enromous help.

On a positive note, I have information that the Casa Mexicana came through pretty well. That may be an alternative hotel for those who are still planning a trip next month.

Back
Top Bottom