If O2 is administered, is coast guard called?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To my knowledge each situation dictates the need for additonal emergency notifications and/or response. I know that when I had a bad case of vertigo due to a reverse block (being an instructor I knew what it was,) the Boat Captain insisted on putting me on oxygen as a precautionary measure. I stayed on o2 for about 30 minutes (it is good stuff) and was checked on by the Captain and crew about every five minutes. I assured them I was fine and showed no signs of DCS. I discontinued o2 and no further notifications were made.

If circumstances clearly indicate a diving accident involving DCS or other serious injury then notification to the proper authorities would most certainly be warranted. It would in most cases fall to the Captain to make that determination, although any dive leader or family member or even friend (dive buddy) has the right to request the call or to even make the call.

Hope this clears it up...

Ken Barrick

dbulmer:
Following the O2 thread, I was just wondering what happens in North America when O2 is administered on a boat. Does the skipper call the coastguard to request further assistance?

A knowledgeable skipper would initiate either a "Mayday" or a "Pan Pan" call to the CG depending on his/her assessment of the situation. If the situation were deemed life threatening, a Mayday call will immediately bring the CG into action. If the diver were requiring O2 but there was no apparent immediate life-threatening danger (i.e. the diver is concious, coherent, etc. and O2 is more precautionary) then a Pan-Pan is proper. This alerts the CG that there is a situation and they can then be prepared to respond appropriately if the situation were to worsen. Since both the medical situation and ocean conditions can change quickly, one should not take chances just because there might be a form to fill out later. IMHO, a skipper who does not follow these standard procedures is not demonstrating proper safety procedures, and should not be charged with the safety of the passengers and crew.

As both a Paramedic and a USCG licensed Captain, Im aware of no law or rule that REQUIRES CG notification of an illness on board....IF you need help then call. If you have things under control then there is no reason to call the coast guard. Call 911 and the local EMS system will deal with the situation.

I personlly think its a good idea.
1 they can relay to 911 WAY before you are in cell range is you are a fair distance offshore.
2.They can also put a chopper on stand by if things turn bad
3. It might save you a law suit if the person wind up dieing or somthing. Showing you took proper channels and a resce is in progress with the CG making the decision to send a chopper or stand by.
4 they may also make arrangements for transportation to a recompression chamber if needed. ect ect.
5 Its their job thats what they do save lives and keep out coasts safe. They know better then anyone on the boat what 1st aid need or need not be applied

thats my 2 cents but heck theese days 2 cents would even buy ya a stick of gum so :shrug:

Ok, here is my take on this. :wink:

Technically speaking oxygen is considered a drug...and not an Over-The-Counter type. It typically can not be administered without certain criteria being followed, namely a doctors prescription, standing order, protocol, or emergency situation. This last part is where Diving related O2 falls. The FDA states that oxygen can be administered "for emergency use only when administered by properly trained personnel for oxygen deficiency and resuscitation." This also fall outside the relm of Basic First Aid, namely because it is a medication and requires additional training outside what standardized first aid courses include.

As far as notifying the USCG, don't know, if they require notification for any treatment beyond basic first aid, then O2 would qualify...but that is "if they require it."

Be sure the boat you dive with has O2 and the people on board know how to use it. And take a course yourself, either a DAN O2 course or React Right, dive safe and be ready to help your buddy. :)

ParamedicDiver1:
Ok, here is my take on this. :wink:

Technically speaking oxygen is considered a drug...and not an Over-The-Counter type. It typically can not be administered without certain criteria being followed, namely a doctors prescription, standing order, protocol, or emergency situation. This last part is where Diving related O2 falls. The FDA states that oxygen can be administered "for emergency use only when administered by properly trained personnel for oxygen deficiency and resuscitation." This also fall outside the relm of Basic First Aid, namely because it is a medication and requires additional training outside what standardized first aid courses include.

As far as notifying the USCG, don't know, if they require notification for any treatment beyond basic first aid, then O2 would qualify...but that is "if they require it."

Be sure the boat you dive with has O2 and the people on board know how to use it. And take a course yourself, either a DAN O2 course or React Right, dive safe and be ready to help your buddy. :)
That is right on. As a CG medic, I can tell you O2 is not considered basic first aid and we must be notified, preferrably during the incident, not after it. We are required to be notified if it is a commercial vessel. We will usually have a helo at least stand-by, or divert one that is already airborn. The victim may or may not be medevaced though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom