If weight belt fell off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try that sometime Sonic, you might be suprised at how large of a rock you would have to haul around to offset a lost belt. :D

When I first saw this thread I didn't think much of it. I didn't think loosing a weight belt was something one worried about. But after all this activity, my eyes are open.
How common a problem is this?

If you ensure your welt belt is secure BEFORE you get in the water (BWRAF) and you always make sure the webbing is straight, it's uncommon. I have several hundred dives and never came close to loosing a belt...even with those evil plastic buckles. As an instructor, I've seen all manner of strangeness underwater with new students and I've seen one person loose a belt and that was at the surface getting in, it simply slipped to their ankles.

The one time I did see someone loose weight pouches was again, at the surface. In the Bahamas I dove with this guy who was all mouth; hated group dives because everyone else was so unreliable, took so long to get ready and blah blah blah blah. Well, he jumped in the water first and moved down the tag line. Looked face first in the water and dumped BOTH pouches from his BCD. They went down 60+ feet and slammed right into a coral head. The DMs went down to gather his weights and they were none too happy about it. Then once he struggled to get the pouches in (with everyone else waiting for Mr Mouthpiece), his octo proceded to fall apart with pieces floating all around. No one was particularly sorry to hear he called his dive and we all went out and enjoyed our dive...

Thankfully, I've never had to see anyone loose a weight belt or pouches at depth (though I know someone who did and was lucky to be right beside a mooring line to grab.

I have seen a lot of stuck inflators which cause run-away assents and people with bad dry-suit control. Much more common in my opinion.

TC:
Try that sometime Sonic, you might be suprised at how large of a rock you would have to haul around to offset a lost belt. :D

:eek:fftopic:
Funny TC! I was in Kona, diving with a small operation and requested x amount of weights for the day. They came up 4 lbs short for me. I thought I could manage and at worst, grab a rock or two. Well, let me tell you something, Hawaii does not have rocks, they only have lava rocks! I would have needed a potato sack full to make it work for me.:wink:

I ended up just hanging on the mooring line for that dive. The op then motored over to another dive boat and borrowed the weights for me.

All of the posts point out a couple of things:

You need to practice all of those seemingly insignificant skills you were taught in open water. One is weight belt removal and replacement (as well as BC), underwater. Seems like you may never need it, but when you do.....

I guess the question also needs to be asked as to how buoyant you are (thick wetsuit?). If you lose your weight belt, you must dump your BC as fast as possible. Use all of your dump valves (remember, your inflator hose is also a dump if you pull on it).

If you're doing an uncontrolled ascent, hopefully your buddy can help you, and you can go up in a controlled manner.

Lacking any buddy help, dump the air and FLARE your body. You must slow your ascent as much as possible. As others have stated, you might be surprised that you can "swim down" to slow your ascent (yep, like the netted fish in Nemo).

MOST importantly, you must be breathing. If you don't breathe (mainly exhaling), you're a prime candidate for a lung expansion injury, which a recompression chamber isn't going to help. On the other hand, if you do get bent, you can be recompressed. DON'T forget to EXHALE on the way up. Remember, your lungs expand 1 atmosphere for every 33 feet of depth, so you need to make sure that air gets OUT.

I would suggest you practice your emegency swimming ascents, too. I know all of these drills seem like a pain, but when you need them isn't the time to realize you may not remember them.

Last edited:
When I first saw this thread I didn't think much of it. I didn't think loosing a weight belt was something one worried about. But after all this activity, my eyes are open.
How common a problem is this?

I'm not sure how common it is, but I have recovered at least 20-30 weight belts over the years. One day in Maine I found a brand new weight belt and a brand new pole spear right next to eachother. Like 24 lbs of new lead! Put the belt on. inflated the BC and crawled back to shore.

Next day dove the same area and found ANOTHER IDENTICAL pole spear and weight belt sitting right next to eachother! I think a buddy team must have had a bad day!

. . . body need 12 #'s to sink, put on my 7mm or drysuit and that goes to 40#'s. . . . Presently I use 20#'s on one and 15#'s on the other.

I'm jumping in here late, but I read this thread and have to question whether the divers here are weighting themselves based on a surface buoyancy check with **empty** BC and holding a "tweener" breath, or simply want to drop quickly when they start to empty their BCs. I'm seeing a trend where people say "but when I wear my thicker suit, I have to add a lot more weight . . ." Seawater weighs 64 lbs per cubic foot; if you have to add 20 or 30 lbs when you switch to a suit 3 or 4mm thicker, you're saying that you're displacing a third to a half a cubic foot more water just with that thicker suit, which I find difficult to get my head around.

I agree and do put my weight belt before securing the crotch strap. Crotch strap is using quick release and located in front and visible.., it would be easy to open it in case of emergency but provide some buffer time if the weight belt ever come off.

Normally, the first thing I do after descent to the depth I'll adjust my weightbelt and bcd waist strap. It's amazing how pressure make the waist much smaller! When I surface, it would be a bit too tight but still okay.

I dive in tropical water, I use one piece 2 pounds weight, I can't divide it into integrated/pocket and weight belt anymore.
But I think it's reasonable and good idea.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom