if you are thinking of trying this....DO IT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me I'm very thick skinned really - 32 years doing what I did I had to be :D

Agree safe versus right is different - I'm confident with trial and practise I will get it to click in time, so long as I stay safe whilst I reach that point I don't mind doing it that way.

P

Like the OP said, if you are thinking of trying this... DO IT.

Even if all you do is easy recreational boat diving, sidemount makes everything easier. Trim, streamlining, carrying, you name it.

z-trim-1.jpgz-trim-2.jpgz-trim-3.jpgz-on-boat (1).jpg

Last photo is where my doubles hang out while I'm getting off and on the boat. Everything else stays attached to me.

Shot at Goat Harbor, Catalina 11/11/13.

Attachments

• z-on-boat.jpg
    z-on-boat.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 305
sandiego......would be willing to explain the procedure you use to get in and out of the water. how you get the tanks in / out etc. i of course had a very easy entry with stairs and a deck etc when doing my intro to sidemount. so it was easy. but i am curious after looking at your pics how you do it. are the tanks clipped off to a line you lower over the side ?? do you find the method you use is safe in rough waters ?? or if it is too rough do you switch to back mount.
thx for any further insight you are willing to offer
rick

sandiego......would be willing to explain the procedure you use to get in and out of the water. how you get the tanks in / out etc. i of course had a very easy entry with stairs and a deck etc when doing my intro to sidemount. so it was easy. but i am curious after looking at your pics how you do it. are the tanks clipped off to a line you lower over the side ?? do you find the method you use is safe in rough waters ?? or if it is too rough do you switch to back mount.
thx for any further insight you are willing to offer
rick

The clipline has a loop and a bolt snap at the end. This prevents any bolt snap that's attached anywhere on the line from sliding off the end.

Getting in the water, I clip the valve-end bolt snap onto the line (anywhere) and toss the tank over. It slides to the bottom on its own. Same with the second tank.

Then I jump in, take the tank off the line, clip the tank at my waist, connect the QC-6 to my LP manifold (this is a special feature of the UTD Z-System) and bungee the top. Same with the second tank.

If you sidemount with second stages attached to your tank/tanks, then un-tuck the second stage in lieu of the QC-6 connect. Then route your second-stage hoses as needed after bungeeing.

Getting out, I do the reverse. Disconnect and unclip from my harness, clip the valve-end bolt snap to the line. If it's bumpy, I sometimes clip the boot-end bolt snap as well. I think this prevents the tanks swinging and banging around so much. (This is the configuration in the photo.)

If you use a weight belt and want to take it off before entering the boat, you can still use the bolt snap at the end of the line for that. (I don't, 'cuz my weights are on my harness.)

Back up on the boat, I just pull up the line and grab the tanks one at a time by the valve end. This is super easy because my tanks are more or less neutral in the water when empty. (I use AL80 tanks.)

I typically dive pretty calm areas, so my clipline is pretty short. It hangs about 1.5 tank-lengths below the water. For rougher conditions, I would probably lengthen the clipline (2 or 3 tank lengths under water) so the tanks hang low enough not to get banged by the boat as it bounces up and down.

Also, I'd probably jump in with my tanks already on if I didn't want to mess around attaching them in the water in rough conditions.

As it usually goes, I like to hang out and float around for a while after I jump in, rinse my mask, shrug out my suit, maybe even make a couple of free-dives before I get the tanks on. This is a luxury of owning The Ultimate Dive Accessory (a boat): there's no mad rush to get your dive(s) done on someone else's schedule.

thx for taking the time to reply in such detail

Have you ever wondered why there are... these... vertebrae?

It is natural for the back to bend. Side mount allows for that. It's lovely.

Feathering the valve(s) is also trivial, so side mount is a wonderfull configuration for ice diving.

This thread comes at a perfect time. I've been considering moving into sidemount because I can't carry a standard set of doubles mostly due to bad knees that will explode if I put that much weight on them. It appeals to me that I could so easily throw the tanks to a clipline overboard and don the bottles in the water. Then I could begin to think about technical diving-that could be an even greater issue as I have a mathematics learning disability so getting through the calculations is a big hurdle. I like the "out of the box" and ready to go set ups as I have no experience with the traditional backplate and wing configurations. Keep the reviews and opinions coming!

not sure if this is the best place to post this but if anyone is researching side mount diving and thinking of giving it a go......you should definitely do it.
i just had a chance to try it out in the caverns in mexico and loved it. obviously it is a bit awkward at first when you are getting everything on and sorted out. but it really is pretty basic and simplistic in design. and it really takes a load off the old back. and best of all it makes buoyancy and trim a whole lot easier. i would definitely want to do it again. hmmmmm.....maybe another specialty to ad to the list ???

thx to Frank at BlueLife for giving me the opportunity to try it out

Funny. I just had exactly the same experience, which is why I'm now the proud owner of a Stealth 2.0.

Funny. I just had exactly the same experience, which is why I'm now the proud owner of a Stealth 2.0.

nice. mine is on its way !! may have to take the week of just to figure out how to put all this together. haha that's a good excuse for a holiday isn't it ??

Plus 1 for that - I tried to find one local to me, seems none of them had done more than the minimum to pick up the specialty instructor card. I got hold of some books and SM DVD's and basically self taught/converted. I have now got about 5 hours underwater time on SM and am loving it. - P

https://www.facebook.com/Simplysidemount?fref=ts

Garry Dallas has been diving and teaching sidemount for years and is very involved in the sidemount community in the U.K. I did my course with him 3 years ago and haven't looked back, check in with him every year or so for a couple dives to make sure I'm still sharp as I hope to be. He's in Malta at the moment until the 28th and then he'll be back doing more courses, he always tailors courses to his students needs and is very flexible and has one hell of an eye for detail regarding kit configuration + set up. Can't recommend him enough!

Back
Top Bottom