if you are thinking of trying this....DO IT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could anyone recommend me any good sidemount book(s) or DVD(s)?

I've been playing around with a Hollis sms50 for some time now (changing the bungies to loop bungies, replacing waist D-rings for compact ones and moving them from their stock placement, etc...) and I've made some improvements on it. Mostly done rec dives with it and some extended range with two tanks on open water but I am still open to ideas to improve it.

I've pretty much have been reading about sidemount and trying things on the pool/water to learn. I don't think I'll take a sidemount course until I can take a trip to learn to cave dive but then again where I live there aren't many sidemount instructors.

I can't imagine mucking around with sidemount without going through a course first. But maybe that's just me. And that said, I was recommended the Jeff Loflin / Jill Heinerth DVD by a local instructor. Maybe I'll check it out myself now...

I've been playing around with a Hollis sms50 for some time now (changing the bungies to loop bungies, replacing waist D-rings for compact ones and moving them from their stock placement, etc...) and I've made some improvements on it. Mostly done rec dives with it and some extended range with two tanks on open water but I am still open to ideas to improve it.

I've pretty much have been reading about sidemount and trying things on the pool/water to learn. I don't think I'll take a sidemount course until I can take a trip to learn to cave dive but then again where I live there aren't many sidemount instructors.

i also would advocate taking a course before switching to side mount as well. but i can recommend andy davis web site for some very good info on the subject. tons of very interesting info/articles there

Sidemount Technical Wreck | Andy Davis Technical Diving Philippines

I've browsed Andy's site before and it is really good.

I know the importance of taking a sidemount course but I am trying it and discovering it alone before doing any serious diving with it. My priority is on finishing my trimix (backmounted) and then next will be my sidemount course.

My SM journey began in 2009.
I fumbled for a year with a Nomad then got it worked out in a class / clean and properly fit the rig to me.
I have since dove it more and more and many of the rigs out there right now.
As others have come and gone around me I have picked up a few things.

First of all if you really want to do SM then GO SIDE MOUNT!
Do not do what I did fumble around for a year looking like a clown, changing things every dive!
YOU ARE A TRAIN WRECK!
Just do it!
Find a SM instructor and by that I mean a SIDE MOUNT INSTRUCTOR!
Not a BM instructor that SM's so he can teach it but a instructor who side mounts all the time!

Rigs are relative but for general all around diving of a variety of tanks you are going to have to look at the Hollis SMS 100.
The NEW SMS 75 is the factory version of the modified SMS 100 that in my opinion is the most accommodating rig out there right now for the general diver.
I would advise and I have witnessed this first hand with a buddy not a month ago tell you to contact, "Cave Adventures" in Mariana FL.
Edd Sorrenson has put many hours above and below the water developing the modifications to this rig and they work.
My friend who had never side mounted purchased a rig from CA they shipped it to him, he put it on and on DIVE #1 looked amazing!
Trim was spot on, the ease of donning and doffing was stellar.
This fellow had been in the pool with my rigs twice!
It blew my mind my SMS 100 went straight away to get modded, I have dove it two weekends and even in dry suit / dry gloves it is something else.

If you are interested in SM and just starting you owe it to yourself to get the rig that will do the most for you out of the box!
In my opinion and that is all this is it is the Hollis SMS 100 modded or the new available to order right now SMS 75.
I have no dog in this fight nor anything to gain, I have dove a Nomad since 2009 heavily modded, Razor clone, factory SMS, Recon, and been around Armadillo's and others.
For starters into the SM realm call Cave Adventures, go to their web site order a package!
Schedule a trip to train and get your rig set up to you.

Instead of fumbling for a year you will be rocking that rig having the time of your life!

CamG

If you wish to Pm I can and will help you in any way I can.
I am not an instructor or retailer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom