"if you can dive here, you can dive anywhere"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to work with another instructor teaching students in quarry-like conditions who made the same argument. He had never really done much else himself, and I disagreed because I had a lot more ocean experience than he and agree with Lynn:

We are all beginners in new environments. But if you have only dived in warm, clear, calm water, you will not find cold, murky surf easy.

I recently spoke with a tech instructor who told me that he did most of his diving, all the way through advanced trimix, in quarries and quarry-like locations until he moved to Florida. Now you may think that Florida is as easy as it gets, but he said he felt like a raw beginner when he got there. He just wasn't prepared for that kind of environment.

I'm a newby, have dived in the 81-degree Caribbean and 57-degree Mediterranean. It seems to me that the heavy gear needed in colder water pretty much makes the whole experience of diving unpleasant for me. It doesn't even seem like the same sport. So let's say you have a lot of experience diving in cold water with low visibility. Well, how does that translate to diving in Cozumel? I'm not sure it does. It would be like saying that knowing how to play tennis makes you a good ping pong player.

You've sorta answered your own question. Anytime you go from experience that is more complicated to a situation that is actually easier the skills translate down. It is so much easier to dive warm water with great viz and very little exposure gear than to dive heavy weights, restricted mobility, and limited vizibility.

If you're used to a big, thick wetsuit then it is easier to dive in just board shorts and rash guard. The decrease in weight is also much, much easier and more comfortable.

Being able to see at 60-80 feet makes keeping track of your buddy easier, as opposed to limited viz at 10-15 feet.

But, if you've never dived cold water before it is a very different set of skills. You are a little more of a newbie going from warm to cold.

Here's another anecdote... a few years ago, during an ITK, a diver from the PNW was talking about how easy we had it here with such easy conditions. All the while he was rubbing his hands and getting almost violent in doing so. This was the first time he dove without gloves and he had grabbed on to rocks covered in fire coral. While not life threatening, he was in misery and I think he missed a few dives.

Hubris or stupidity, you decide. Either way, if you feel you have nothing to learn, you should expect pain in your future. Me? Not being much of a masochist, I rather enjoy the fact that I have yet to need a wetsuit since I moved to Key Largo. It's going to hit 82F today. I love my new home. :D

NetDoc's guy felt the pain of coral, but coral has probably felt the pain of alot more cold water divers. Folks that are used to being able to touch and kneel and otherwise interact with their rocks and kelp, can do so much damage to coral reefs. Some of them haven't a clue, and others could care less.

Not saying that all cold water divers are coral killers, but this is an example of how diving properly in warm water paradise does require a bit more skill and awareness than meets the eye.

Here's another anecdote... a few years ago, during an ITK, a diver from the PNW was talking about how easy we had it here with such easy conditions. All the while he was rubbing his hands and getting almost violent in doing so. This was the first time he dove without gloves and he had grabbed on to rocks covered in fire coral. While not life threatening, he was in misery and I think he missed a few dives.

Hubris or stupidity, you decide. Either way, if you feel you have nothing to learn, you should expect pain in your future. Me? Not being much of a masochist, I rather enjoy the fact that I have yet to need a wetsuit since I moved to Key Largo. It's going to hit 82F today. I love my new home. :D

Pete: have I told you yet today that you suck?

Don't look down here for any smiley faces, mate... I have a pile of snow on my back deck... yep, you suck, brother!

See you at BTS?

I recently spoke with a tech instructor who told me that he did most of his diving, all the way through advanced trimix, in quarries and quarry-like locations until he moved to Florida. Now you may think that Florida is as easy as it gets, but he said he felt like a raw beginner when he got there. He just wasn't prepared for that kind of environment.

And everyone will tell you that Open Water diver is a basic certification.

Bob
--------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

BTS? That's too cold for me. I think I'll send HowardE instead. I'll think fondly of you when I splash. :D
Pete: have I told you yet today that you suck?

Don't look down here for any smiley faces, mate... I have a pile of snow on my back deck... yep, you suck, brother!

See you at BTS?

NetDoc's guy felt the pain of coral, but coral has probably felt the pain of alot more cold water divers. Folks that are used to being able to touch and kneel and otherwise interact with their rocks and kelp, can do so much damage to coral reefs. Some of them haven't a clue, and others could care less.

I am definitely under the impression that most of us "interact" with our cold water environment by just looking and enjoying the show, just as we do on warm coral reefs.

Anyway, I started my training in a quarry, which I thought was a nice gentle intro to diving, a place to get used to pretending to be a fish without having to worry about surge and currents. The quarry I trained in has a handful of navigation courses set up, which I think is super cool, and it's stocked with fish, and there are a bunch of things sunk in it. It's no tropical fish paradise, but it's a good place for working on basic skills and getting used to wearing a thick wetsuit and gloves and hood and a million pounds of weight.

All diving environments have their draw backs. I haven't done ice diving and I am grateful our water doesn't get that stiff in the winter. Diving isn't a competitive sport. I don't care if people choose to view themselves as better divers because of how they view the challenges of their style/location of diving. You can pound your chests and make all the claims you want. If I am to be your buddy I care a lot about your experience and skill in the environment we are diving!

If I am diving in "your puddle" I will respectfully listen to the local wisdom and dive accordingly. If you are good in the water I will mimic what you do. If you are diving in "my puddle".. I suggest you do the same. I will watch you in the water and tailor the experience to you if I can.

I have been fortunate to dive everything from cold freshwater, cold ocean, surf entries, boat entries, mountain goat entries, easy cave, wreck, easy to strong current, tropical, temperate and in between. I consider myself to be nothing more than a reasonably competent diver who has been very lucky to have had to opportunities to dive as much as I have!

Most of the diving in my area involves hauling gear up and down goat trails. This particular site, Flat Rock has sections on the trail that are only a few inches wide with precipitous drops on either side. Unfortunately, you can't tell how the visibility will be until you get in the water. I would rate Palos Verdes as "just a bit" tougher than the average quarry. :)

3581805402_d720703c4f_z.jpg

I think I would come around in a boat...

Back
Top Bottom