If you were to move to Philipines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Filipinos for the most part are lazy!!! That is a fact. They do not have the drive or desire. I have been there and a lot of pinays do not like Pinoys because they are lazy. Filipinos here in the US don't like competition. I work in an industry that a lot of them have gone into. They are very subservant and do what is told of them by Management. The Philippines could have been a great place but you also have to consider how powerful the Catholic church is there. The Church won't allow the government to implement family planning or even really discuss it.

If foreigners were allowed to invest there, there would be more jobs and opportunities.

You are contradicting yourself by saying Filipinos are lazy and then saying they are subservant and do what is told of them by Management. @_@
I actually smiled when you said a lot of pinays dont like pinoys because they are lazy and would prefer foreigners. :) Most probably your dollars attracted them to you. :) I hope you didn't fall for that.

I agree that Filipinos are very subservant.. they've been colonized by Spain, Japan, and US for centuries and I guess that's the root cause of it.. I totally disagree with what you said that Filipinos here in the US are lazy. Filipinos are actually very hard working people here in the US. Being subservant is totally different from being lazy.. There are other people here in the US that I would consider lazy.

Foreigners are allowed to invest, even encouraged.
Are you sure?
President Ramos vetoed the winning bid from a HK firm on a container port not too long ago. He would like the business to stay in Philippines!!!!!!

The LAW in Philippines only exist on paper!!!
Anyone remember a rape and murder case committed by the son of a senator at least 12yrs ago? The man was convicted but no one dare to arrest him!!!!!
To add insult to injury, the ex-senator Freddie Webb is now asking the supreme court to dismiss the case against his son, Hubert Webb, because the court has lost a vital evidence!!!!!! This is justice in Philippines!!!

Last edited:
Foreigners are allowed to invest, even encouraged. Foreign investment and owning land are separate issues

You are dreaming. The foreign investment figures here reflect the reality.

As with many things in the Philippines, the rhetoric says one thing ("we want foreign investment"), but the attitudes, policies and actions say another. Regulations in place, rampant corruption and zero legal protection for those scammed and ripped-off make the Philippines a decidedly unattractive investment location for foreign companies.

The same is true of tourism. The Philippines says it wants to grow tourism from its current dismal levels, yet does nothing to develop the infrastructure, ethos and regulations to allow that tourism to grow. Words, no actions.

If you are a foreigner living in the Philippines, don't feel so high and mighty thinking that you are doing the Philippines a favor.

As I said... a big 'chip on the shoulder' regarding foreigners in the Philippines... :shakehead:

I'm not sure about any culture of 'subservience'... but one legacy of colonialism seems to be a deep-rooted sense of resentment. In many cases, that resentment seems to form the basis of self-defeating policies and principles that deter foreign interest in the country. In a sense, it leads to a situation of "we'd love your money, but don't want the resulting competition introduced into our market... so set up a business, let us squeeze you for every cent we can... then please feel free to leave and don't think we value you.."

Two words, as example: Clark and Subic.

...doesn't mean that the Filipino society in itself is corrupt from top to bottom!

Just ask a foreigner what their impression is. Ripped off the second they step off the aircraft until the second they board their flight to leave... Call it what you want..."foreigner rates versus local rates", "white skin tax",... "a fair price inflation because you are rich and I am poor".... either way... what matters is the impression that foreign visitors form when they come here.

I suggest you talk/listen to actual foreigners to understand that opinion...rather than believing whatever Pinoy hype is flavor of the day. Truth be told, most visitors here don't believe "it's more fun in the Philippines"... Sad, but true....and I deeply wish it were different.

The big 'chip on the shoulder' is not about foreigners living in the Philippines but rather on the arrogance of foreigners (especially if they live in the Philippines) who think they are the solution to the Philippines' problem.
I think the change for the betterment of the Filipino society must come from within and not from outside influence. Japan, China, and South Korea are concrete examples as I stated before.
I agree on your point that there is a deep sense of resentment.
Most of the time this will be clearly noticed when a foreigner acts as if they are superior and ungrateful after the hospitality that the Philippines showed them.
Filipinos are generally very hospitable people and would warmly welcome you to their homes and would feed you the best that they could. They would even offer the best room in the house for you and if needed, even borrow money just to feed you.
I guess the Filipinos don't want the past to happen again where the owners of the land are no longer Filipinos but foreigners. During colonial times, the Filipinos owned nothing and were abused on their own lands.
Please note that it is not only in the Philippines that a foreigner can't own land. You can't own land in Dubai if you're not a citizen. I believe same also in Singapore. There are a lot of other nations that has this law.

DevonDiver, every society has its imperfections but you seem very focused only on these and tend to forget the other better qualities. If you so detest Filipinos this much, why would you even live there?

For the OP, I'm sorry if it seems like the thread is hijacked.. This is not supposed to be about whether you should move to the Philippines or not but at least you will get a glimpse of the reality in there. As DevonDiver said, it's best if you personally talk to foreigners who've been to the Philippines to give you the pros and cons.

To answer the original question, my vote goes to Dumaguete city. :) It is a university town (with lots of foreigners enrolled), it is safe, very close to great dive spots and truly is a city of gentle people. cheers!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom