Ignorant of Dive Computors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am beginning to look at dive computers. I am totatlly ignorant. I want one that handles Nitrox, monitors air pressure, and all that jazz. It will probably be a birthday or Christmas gift from my parents so I don't want to give them a $500 bill. Is there anything in the $300 range that is good? I looked at Oceanic (which I already like). Any good ones from them?

Might want to look at something without Air Integration. It adds a lot to the expense and is not really necessary.

dherbman:
Might want to look at something without Air Integration. It adds a lot to the expense and is not really necessary.

I am researching as we speak and I just noticed that....Hmmm....does an Oceanic VEO 180 sound appealing?

I believe the VEO 180 is very similar to the now discontinued Versa Pro, which is what I have. I really like the Versa Pro so I'm sure the 180 will be an excellent choice.

The aeris atmos 2 is also considered quite good (and quite similar to the veo 180, if I'm not mistaken, since oceanic and aeris are the same company), and is in your price range. Air integrated is not in your price range at this time. $300 is pretty much going to limit you to the lower end of the computers that are out there. Fortunately, the low end can be pretty good. :)

There is a good discussion on lower-cost computers in this recent thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151341

So if it is not air integrated...how does that limit me? Does it still calculate how long I can stay down?

It will provide NDL info, but no air pressure calcs. You should be able to figure these out by looknig at a pressure gauge. Kinda like looking at a gas gauge in a car. Gas mileage varies depending on terrain, speed and load. Gas usage depends on depth and breathing rate. It becomes second nature to be able to do these calcs on the fly.

Without air integration you just need to have an SPG (Submersible Pressure Gage) to show you what the tank pressure is. On an air integrated computer this information is available to you on the computer display rather than on a separate gage. It also will allow the computer to calculate your air consumption rate (SAC), I believe - I don't have an air integrated computer.

In short you don't need an air intergrated computer in order to have it compute the amont of time you can stay down. A regular computer and an SPG will do just fine.

Hmmm,

You calculate how long you can stay down. No computer can do this safely. Didn't they teach you how to do this in your OW class?

PerroneFord:
Hmmm,

You calculate how long you can stay down. No computer can do this safely. Didn't they teach you how to do this in your OW class?

They really didn't go over computers much in the class. Ran through them pretty quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom