I'm buying a drysuit, whites aqua pro, I could use some advice please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Size charts are useful but not foolproof. I bought two drysuits where I matched the chart really well and ended up with marginal fits. My next suit will either be a custom or, if by some miracle I find one that fits perfectly off the shelf, one that I've tried on and know fits.

The easiest way to buy something is to buy it once. If you're not even close to a stock size, invest the money for a custom. And please, please invest good money in an undersuit. Messing around with layer after layer of polypro and fleece and still not being warm is miserable. I've even bought enough layers that if I add them up I'm close to a real undersuit.

jonnythan:
A drysuit is a drysuit, really. It keeps you dry. The important part is fit. You want it to fit snugly but not interfere with your range of motion. Baggier is worse.. and IMO trilam is the way to go. Neoprene is heavy and just sucks in general.
I used to be a die hard trilam fan. A trilam bigot even...until I had a zipper leak and was forced to borrow a neoprene drysuit. I was very impressed. Now I own a neoprene drysuit and the trilam is strictly a backup.

You get a much snugger and more streamlined fit with a neoprene suit and still do not sacrifice anything in terms of range of motion. Even with a custom trilam, there are still tradeoffs between range of motion and bagginess and the degree that you have to tolerate one or the other varies with the underwear. I have found I am much more comfortable in unusual attitudes with a neoprene drysuit as with the snug fit, there is not nearly the tendency for air to rush to your feet. You can also comfortably dive with much less air in the suit and are less prone to a squeeze in a neoprene suit. I have found that when diving doubles and stages where use of the wing for bouyancy control is manadatory, that much less attention needs to be paid to maintaining the volume of air in suit and that task loading is reduced with no sacrifice in comfort.

In my opinion, a neoprene dry suit is also slighty easier to get into as there is normally no requirement to don heavy underwear first and then don the shell. It feels less bulky and is more comfortable to wear in most circumstances

Best of all, with a good fitting neoprene suit, your streamlining is as good as with a wet suit which benefits efficiency in speed and air consumption. Unlike nearly all shell suits, it virtually disapears once you are in the water.

As for longevity, I have heard that neoprene suits do not last as long, but my spouse has put about 4 years and 300 dives on her Atlan neoprene drysuit and it is still going strong - and she bought it used with an unknown number fo dives already on it. That is about as many dives as I have put on either of my trilaminate suits, so if a neoprene suit lasts until you want to replace it anyway and costs half as much initally, it's hard to argue with the economics of a neoprene suit.

Weight wise, with a 7mm neoprene drysuit I need about 4 more pounds than with a trilam in most circumstances but I also stay warmer. For travel the suit is slightly heavier but not bulkier to pack than a trilam and it neccesarily heavier underwear.

So my thoughts are to not rule out a neoprene drysuit based on old predjudices and beliefs associated with older neoprene suits that had problems with valve placement and zipper designs that are no longer a factor. A well designed neoprene drysuit can be an excellent choice.

If you go with a shell suit, you definitely want to go with something with a lot of stretch to it rather than with a traditional trilam material.

... (almost 5cm too long according to their charts) ...

Geeze, 5cm (less than 2") is insignificant when it comes to excess length. That disappears when you raise your arms or bend over.
Best bet is to just try the suits on, with an approximate amount of undies.
I share many of DA Aquamaster's sentiments on drysuit material. I use considerably less lead with my Unisuits than with a farmer john wetsuit, and about the same or a little less than with a Viking.

I purchased the Whites Fleece (pro) when i bought my Aqua Pro. I wear a thin set of skiing thinsulate undies under it and have never felt a chill in the water. Also the fleece keeps any moisture away from my skin if any gets under the suit (not a drop yet with this new suit, but the rental Nexus leaked a bit).

The only downside i have seen so far is the fleece is very thick, so it adds alot of buoyancy, which you have to compensate for. I would think a thinner thinsulate would be better in that regard.

The Whites fleece is perfect for our BC cold water diving.

TinoD'Voe:
My budget is tight, but I'm willing to spend a bit extra to get something that will last as opposed to needing a new suit in a year or two.

At the same time, I want to stretch this cash as far as it will go. So, would you recommend that I spend the extra $250 and get the custom, and invest in some proper underwear later. Or save the cash, buy the stock large-tall with the longer legs (almost 5cm too long according to their charts) and purchase the proper undergarments.

I personaly would rather have a trash bag with a zipper and realy great undies than a perfect cut drysuit with crap undies.

Ends up I have nether, but am working on it. Undies are what do the work, the rest is a bag of air with only one job - to stay our of the way as best it can. Spend the money on good custom cut undies from someone who knows how to fit them, then buy a used suit if your tight on cash. The real trick is finding someone who knows how to mesure you up right. Many people selling this stuff have no clue what a good fit realy is.

Really, there is only one suit for the Pacific Northwest, and thats High Tide. The problem lies in the fact that a suit is a suit. Diving dry is a whole 'nother science. If you by a 'bag' suit, you need to take the specialty course. With High Tide suits, they are custom measured and cut, with neoprene that is manufactured for High Tide specifically. There are very few extraneous factors to maintain when in a High Tide suit. My Pro suit is good for 1000 dives to 430 ft. Beat that with another neoprene suit!!

diverDano:
Really, there is only one suit for the Pacific Northwest, and thats High Tide. The problem lies in the fact that a suit is a suit. Diving dry is a whole 'nother science. If you by a 'bag' suit, you need to take the specialty course. With High Tide suits, they are custom measured and cut, with neoprene that is manufactured for High Tide specifically. There are very few extraneous factors to maintain when in a High Tide suit. My Pro suit is good for 1000 dives to 430 ft. Beat that with another neoprene suit!!

High Tide suits eliminate the need for instruction?

Coooool.

when you buy a High Tide, the dealer who sells it to you takes you out and dives it with you the first time. It is such a simple suit to wear and operate. I didn't even need the instruction, I just read the manual that comes with the suit.

Back
Top Bottom