Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 2. As much as my N level allows.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • 3. Average 3 trips in 2 days.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDNetGeek

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what you all think or do on your dive trips - my wife and I almost never agree on it. If I am traveling from home (San Diego) to the Caribbean or Hawaii or something, I almost always want to do both the AM and PM trip on the boat. My thinking is that by golly, if I'm paying all that money to go to warm water, I'm going to get the most out of it! (And I enjoy the heck out of diving, even if the reefs and/or creatures aren't "great.") She, OTOH, is perfectly content to do her 2 tanks and chill on the beach for the afternoon. (The funny part is that at home, *I* am content to sit and watch a ballgame while she is in constant motion!)

For purposes of the poll, assume there ARE the usual "other activities" - horseback riding, sightseeing, golf, etc. - available, and are affordable for you.

Anybody have strong feelings either way?

1. Two AM Tanks and I'm Done.
2. As much as my N level allows.
3. Average 3 trips in 2 days.

Thanx!

I have the same problem but worse my wife is a non diver so whenever we go on vacation I end up leaving her alone while i go diving. I have to have a balance if it was up to me I would dive every day but my agreement is I have one day on vacation and she has one day the rest we spend together. We take vaction to relax and recharge the marriage battery's. Like a car needs mantanence so does a marriage. Have a balance, come to some agreement, enjoy each other company and recharge those marraige batteries that's my advise.

I have the same issue with non-divers in my family. My compromise: on a 7 day vacation, I dive 4 dives each day for three days, and spend the remaining days with them for topside activities.

My wife and I like to do 2 tanks in the morning then usaully 1 in the pm., but if there are allot of other activities then we might take an afternoon off to do an activity we want to do. Always at least 1 - 2 night dives on a 7 day. On a liveaboard, 4 dives a day. We'll take a 3tank oportunity if it arises as well.
I can see however that if your so. doesn't dive you would have to compromise sometimes. I can say this after 30 yrs. of being married to the same person. You have to have dreams together to make things work out. My 2cents.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Personally I'll do 4-5 dives per day, 5 if there's a night dive. Done that before for a month without a break when I was doing my dmt, reasonably though I think it's prob sensible to have at least half a day's break every 5 days or so. When I go abroad on holiday as a customer I want to get the max number of dives I can.

As many as my nitrogen level will allow. 5 of my buddies and I went to Tavernier in May. We did 14 dives in 4 days. 4 on day 1, 5 on day 2, 3 on day 3 and 2 the last day. that left 29 hours until flight back to California. It also left time for some surface interval in Key West. We ended up skipping the two afternoon dives on day 3 due to a boat scheduling problem and not wanting to rush after doing the Spiegle Grome in the AM.

Nitrox helps with the N level but yo then watch your O2 level too.

While traveling I'll usually do five dives a day. I'm often gone for a month at a time and I'll take a day off after nine or so days of diving in a row. I'm lucky enough to only be traveling with divers. It would be a big hitch to have to entertain non-divers also. After a day of diving (and diving and diving....) my social life is minimal.

scubaranger:
I have the same problem but worse my wife is a non diver so whenever we go on vacation I end up leaving her alone while i go diving. I have to have a balance if it was up to me I would dive every day but my agreement is I have one day on vacation and she has one day the rest we spend together. We take vaction to relax and recharge the marriage battery's. Like a car needs mantanence so does a marriage. Have a balance, come to some agreement, enjoy each other company and recharge those marraige batteries that's my advise.
I have a similar problem, only a better solution: we never go on a diving vacation alone, we bring friends. The wives hang out together during the day while the men go diving, then we go out in the evenings together. I also take a day break in the middle of the trip to blow off some slow tissue gas, so we get in a day of sightseeing. The last full day there we also don't dive, we shop and hang out. This guarantees at least 24 hour or more before flying.

Dive Safe,
Adam

I am in a similar boat- I will dive as much as possible on a trip- 6 dives on several days in Bonaire (including nights and shallow- so well within risk zones) I would stay in the water all the time given the choice- but my partner does not always share my enthusiasm and jokes about the gruelling nature of our dives trios. Of course I point out to him that I would happily hook up with some SB'ers for trips and he can stay home....suddenly he begins to see things my way :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom