I'm going to be cold huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of buying some form of exposure protection. I'll be on a few warm water vacations this year, along with my regular diving in Monterey. I've narrowed my choices to the following 3:

1. Henderson 7mm Farmer John/7mm step in (14mm over torso, 7mm on limbs)
Henderson 3mm shortie

2. Henderson 9mm/5mm fullsuit
Henderson 3mm core warmer (12mm over torso, 5mm on limbs)

3. Drysuit
Henderson 3mm shortie

Moneywise, I'm leaning toward option 2, but am afraid that I'll be a little cold in the 50 degree waters off Monterey. What do ya'll think?

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Hi Mel,

For the price of the Henderson you may be able to get a custom made wetsuit. I got mine from JMJ wetsuits. You could get the 6.5 mm full-suit with a 3mm or 5mm shortie to wear underneath (so you could also use it in warm water).

I got a 6.5mm full suit with an attached hood 5mm shortie for San Diego cold water diving, but I don't plan to dive much outside of southern and northern california.

good luck!
Fox

I dive montery all the time. I just use a 7mm, back zip, single most of the time. I have used farmer johns with a jacket in the past. I used 7/7 for years, and 7/5 for a while. Theywere OK but required much more weight.

When it is colder, then i use hooded vest instead of a plain hood. When it is really cold i add a second hood. This setup requires less weight and is as warm (for me).

Fit is much more important then thickness. Get one that fits right first. FIt of the hood is important too. Thicker means more effort to move, more constricting and more weight required. My suit fits very well, is tight in the fore arms and calves, has water seals, and is almost a semi dry. The only time i am ever cold is for a moment when water first enters the suit.

Off-the-rack fits me well, if it fits you then good. Otherwise get custom or have a suit adjusted if you can.

for the record i am 6ft 180lbs and slightly cold tolerent.

how many threads is this post running on? I'm so confused...

Most everybody who dives Monterey regularly wears a
drysuit. That should tell you something.

And a shorty isn't enough for the tropics. I wear a 4/3
full suit and a hood. And do five dives a day. Everybody
else is saying "I'm cold" or "I'm tired" (because they got
cold) by late in the day. I've done 14 liveaboard trips
with 4-6 dives a day. I've missed 12 dives - all because
I was sick (2 dives ear infection, 2*5 dives cold brought
on the boat by one of the other divers who didn't go hide
in their room like I did.

I has posted here originally, then though that "exposure suits" may be better. I then forgot tho have this one in NorCal removed. Sorry for those of you that read it more than once, as it stands, I got great ideas from both. I just may bring peanut butter sandwiches to work for a year or so, to warrant buying a drysuit. Oh wait, I'm already doing that because of my upcoming Cozumel trip.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom