I'm going to be cold huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of buying some form of exposure protection. I'll be on a few warm water vacations this year, along with my regular diving in Monterey. I've narrowed my choices to the following 3:

1. Henderson 7mm Farmer John/7mm step in (14mm over torso, 7mm on limbs)
Henderson 3mm shortie

2. Henderson 9mm/5mm fullsuit
Henderson 3mm core warmer (12mm over torso, 5mm on limbs)

3. Drysuit
Henderson 3mm shortie

Moneywise, I'm leaning toward option 2, but am afraid that I'll be a little cold in the 50 degree waters off Monterey. What do ya'll think?

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Can you afford dry suit? You will be much happier, believe me. Just rent when you go on vacation, and go dry. Up in the bay area you can dive dry year round. Once you dive dry you won't want to be wet again.

I took the PADI drysuit specialty, and you're right, there's nothing like it. It's just a little hard to spend $1000- plus on one. Guess I can't ask my 2 year old to go on a diet huh?

melfox26:
I took the PADI drysuit specialty, and you're right, there's nothing like it. It's just a little hard to spend $1000- plus on one. Guess I can't ask my 2 year old to go on a diet huh?

I know where you are coming from, I have 2 little ones my self. Look around for a good used or almost new dry suit. I picked up a Bare Trilam ATR Light for $700 brand new (msrp $1300) from someone who had ordered the wrong size. If you have a little time to wait, check out ebay and check out the factory closeouts at DUI. You would be surprised in what you can pick up.

As you know more comfort driving dry, and that will make you want to go more often.

LowTide:
Can you afford dry suit? You will be much happier, believe me. Just rent when you go on vacation, and go dry. Up in the bay area you can dive dry year round. Once you dive dry you won't want to be wet again.

I agree with you

LowTide:
As you know more comfort driving dry, and that will make you want to go more often.

I can second that. No use having taken all those classes if you won't dive very often because you're too cold.

Been there, done that as they say.

I think there is no other choice. If you shop around you will find a deal. Just make sure it fits well, don't settle for a poor fit just for the price. Those heavy wet suits are a pain. Under a dry suit you can vary the insulation. Nice........

the drysuits can keep your body warm and dry,it is worth to use buy one

...I got mine, delivered to house for less than $750.00. Then I went to the Softwear website and had Janice 'custom make' a 300wt one piece under suit for less than $200. I'm always 'toasty' especially now that I have gone to the dryglove system.

My Viking Xtreme has an attached hood and an insulated beenie you wear under it, so even in VERY cold water, you have minimum exposure.

Good luck with your decision....

Back
Top Bottom