I'm looking for a minimalist side-inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone. I work full-time at a dive shop, and I'm leaving in a year or two to be a full-time instructor somewhere tropical. So, I'll be doing a lot of diving, and in salt/chlorine water. So.. I'll need something that's going to be very durable, and not discolor (I hope).

I really like the.. I guess.. idea of the Scubapro Hydros. If you've seen it.. it's very minimalist. There's almost nothing too it. It's super small. Very light. And made entirely of rubber, aside from the back-inflate unit--so it dries very quickly and doesn't take in much water at all.

Only problem is, I don't like back-inflates (too much of a pain at the surface--teaching students). And I also worry about those rubber shoulder straps ripping over time (the scuba pro fin strap rubber material ~ on their spring straps ~ rips all the time--we get A LOT of people bringing those into the shop to be replaced; and mine ripped as well.. after just a few months of use).

So.. looking for a very durable, very minimal, quick-drying side-inflate BC. We don't have any in my shop. And I haven't seen any come through service that blew me away.

Any suggestions?

today is thanksgiving in the US, hence the lack of replies.

Do you actually have experience with back inflates to comment about their use at the surface? They work quite well.

Also, if you are working for a dive shop, then they should allow you to use the rental gear free of charge for pool use. If they don't, you need a new shop

There's a knack to diving back inflates - don't over-inflate them at the surface.

Add sufficient air to gain surface buoyancy.... then stop.

That's fine, because most BCDs have far more than ample buoyancy volume for single tank recreational divers.

Jacket style BCDs can be fully inflated, the only drawback being that you might feel constricted. The same is not true of back inflate BCDs.... they'll push you forwards if over-filled.

Last edited:
today is thanksgiving in the US, hence the lack of replies.

Do you actually have experience with back inflates to comment about their use at the surface? They work quite well.

Also, if you are working for a dive shop, then they should allow you to use the rental gear free of charge for pool use. If they don't, you need a new shop

Yes. I use a Knighthawk. Have been for almost a year now. I'm still constantly kicking to remain stable at the surface while teaching. Most vets that use them seem to have developed a fine, comfortable back "lean" at the surface. But for whatever reason, I can't. I have very little body fat and typically only dive with 2 lbs lead in a 3mm. Maybe that's it. I'm constantly feeling pushed face-first into the water with enough air in my bc to float at the surface.

There's a knack to diving back inflates - don't over-inflate them at the surface.

Add sufficient air to gain surface buoyancy.... then stop.

That's fine, because most BCDs have far more than ample buoyancy volume for single tank recreational divers.

Jacket style BCDs can be fully inflated, the only drawback being that you might feel constricted. The same is by true of back inflate BCDs.

I'll work on that--inflating as little as possible to be buoyant. It'd be really nice to be able to instruct in that Hydros.

As far as side inflates go.. Scubapro has their "Go". It's a very light travel side-inflate BC. But.. it seems just as durable as the others?

crotch strap.... they make all the difference in the world.

if you have a bc now, then make whatever shop you are teaching through let you use rental gear. If it is good enough for your students, it has to be good enough for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom