I'm such an idiot!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Fraser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So yesterday I managed to pretty much destroy my twinset rig through shear stupidity. What's worse I did this in front of my students having previously given them a lecture on stowing kit properly and not leaving stuff stood up on the benches.

Yesterday was a normal teaching day at our local quarry and everything went pretty well. Students were good and everything went according to plan.

We finished the last dive and I sat down on one of the raised benches to get out of my kit. Then the brain fart. I always turn round immediately and lay my rig down before anything else. Not this time. Whether something distracted me or not, I don't know, but I decided to walk off, remove my drysuit, chat, have a cup of tea, etc, all whilst my twins were precariously balanced 4ft off the ground. Not satisfied with this, I then sat on the opposite side of the bench to take my thermals off. In my dumbass mind I must have thought this thing I decided to lean against was a thoughtfully erected backrest for middle-aged divers, but no, it was my teetering twinset. Next thing BANG, as my rig dropped head first onto solid concrete.

I don't know what was worse, the sight of a twisted manifold, valves and both first stages, or the pitying look from my fellow divers. All joking aside, fortunately the valves or first stages, didn't shear otherwise someone could have been hurt, rather than just my pride and wallet.

I'm not yet sure how much it's all going to cost in repairs and replacements as I chucked it all in the car and can't bring myself to look at it but, by the time cylinders have been inspected as well, I'm in for about a grand.

Moral of the story, don't be distracted from your usual routine and don't think you're beyond the advice you happily dish out to new divers. One of our regular DM's even noticed my twins, but assumed I knew what I was doing as the senior staff member so didn't feel he should say anything.

Worst thing is I can't even use it as an opportunity to get new upgraded shinny kit, as my rig was perfect for me as it was.

Oh well, enough of the pity-fest.

I am sorry about this happening to you but thank you for sharing.
I agree, getting out of well established routines gets us in trouble from time to time. I hope repairs will not be costly. What is all that got damaged?

It happens!
Sometimes more often to some and sometimes less often but it will happen.

Not as costly as your scenario, but I had a dry bag fly out the boat because I'd forgotten to stow it in another bag.

@Graeme Fraser sorry to hear this, it’s actually more common than one would think.

In the last two years, this happened to three people I know: two didn’t get major damage but one had to change his valves and get his regs fixed. The threading was broken on both sides.

If ever I have a problem or omission in kitting up, its when distracted. I very nearly did the same but managed to catch it.

S*it happens....I was moving my pickup truck around my own driveway when my doubles fell out and ruined the manifold. I thought "I'm such an idiot"

Lol I once picked up two new tanks from the shipping department, laid them sideways in the van, left the door open, drove around a corner … and the tanks launched sideways out of their cardboard boxes and lubricated by their plastic bag sleeves. And I soon hear a noise and look in the mirror to see them going end over end down the road. Luckily no valves were installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom