I'm such an idiot!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get the manifold out, get a couple of blanking plugs then sell the two valves to sidemounters.

Seriously! If the valves work then they'd be excellent for bailout duty.
It's a good idea, but unfortunately both valves are trashed. One more visible than the other, but both have thread damage, hence the reason I need to change the handwheel and barrel for both first stages.

It's a good idea, but unfortunately both valves are trashed. One more visible than the other, but both have thread damage, hence the reason I need to change the handwheel and barrel for both first stages.
Am sorry for your loss :-(

One hell of a bash.

Wonder if it matters what you were taught about this at training. My semester length class at a community college for ow training, had always maintained laying tanks down. Dive shop training I saw going on while getting air fills, I saw every tank upright. This not just inside carpeted area, the ones on cement by the pool instruction use too. My tanks were the only ones laying down. This was until they were done being filled and removed from the water tank. Then on cement standing up. The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving text does tell of some idiot at a shop using a wrench for some strange reason on the valve at neck of a tank. A missile developed and with great detail it explains the end results. I did actually see just the effect of a blown burst disk on a tank valve and how it spun in place on a dock. Just a thought if the valve would have hit one of the dock cleats. Oh the humanity of it all. Makes you think?
I have noticed it comes down to each instructor/dive shop. I think the ones who have done it/seen it are the ones who are more proactive on laying them down.

Just a quick update:

As suspected, both cylinder valves and manifold are beyond repair, so I sourced replacements and these are now fitted, so my twinset is now operational. Dive tech confirmed the cylinders themselves were undamaged, so that's good.

Despite my previous assessment that the first stages could be saved, I've pushed the button on a complete set of new regs. Although my old ones were holding pressure and breathing fine, me, our dive tech and a couple of colleagues just had that nagging doubt based on the external damage and full on concrete nose dive. The clincher was the dive tech saying he wouldn't personally feel confident diving them.

Anyway, I've gone full monty on the replacements and bought a full set of Apeks MTX RC twinset regs. Fortunately I get a good key man discount so the price isn't too bad. I've also done a fair bit of commercial jobs this month so have a bit of spare cash to spend.

Although I really liked my Tek3's, I thought getting something different with a 5th port would feel more like an upgrade and soften the blow, so to speak. I can also reuse the old second stages (XTX50's) and various other parts as spares and stage regs.

Anyway, I'll post up a couple of pics of the new rig when it's all here.

Cheers. G

Back
Top Bottom