I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I give Matt credit for his willingness to expose himself so much on this board. I sympathize with the fact that he likes to dive but does not have a regular dive buddy. I am not as willing to dive so often with insta buddies.

Matt I think you need to find some regular buddies to dive with, maybe do simple local dives with a good mentor. Other than that if I was you I'd pay the extra money to dive with a high quality op, small groups and get a private DM as your buddy.

I think the #86 was a bill or proposition number of a law that was passed ( probably cal, just guessing) to allow bartenders to cut off and send home drinkers when they have had too much.. been a long time since this has come up in conversation.

Thanks, where does it come from? I assume the number 86 has some significance?

Sorry for the thread hijack but looks like it's all been said and more.

Since this thread has run its course, I'll add to the hijack. Here is a bit more from Wikipedia:

"Another probable source of origin is from the U.S. Navy's Allowance Type (AT) coding system used for logistic purposes. The Allowance Type Code is a single digit numeric code which identifies the reason material is being carried in stock. Throughout the life-cycle of a warship, many pieces of equipment will be upgraded or replaced, requiring the allowance of onboard spare parts associated to the obsolete equipment to be disposed of. The AT code assigned to parts designated for disposition is AT-6.[8] Following WWII, there were a great number of warships being decommissioned, sold, scrapped, or deactivated and placed in reserve (commonly referred to as "mothballed"). During this process, labor workers would bring spare parts up from the storerooms and the Lead Supply Clerk would inform them what the disposition of their parts were by part number. Anything referred to as AT-6 (or by similar phonetic, eighty-six), was to be disposed of in the dumpster. This is where the term became synonymous with throwing something away."[6]

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86_(term)

I think the #86 was a bill or proposition number of a law that was passed ( probably cal, just guessing) to allow bartenders to cut off and send home drinkers when they have had too much.. been a long time since this has come up in conversation.

There is a whole lot (86?) of theories about the origin of the term, but there's no agreed story.

It's meaning not only to kick someone out, but it also denotes a menu item that is no longer available. E.g., "86 the Hawaiian pizza. We just ran out of pineapple."

I would have thought that, according to your original story, the fact that people were talking to you from the boat and responding to your questions would have give n you idea that they could hear you:

You're right. I didn't want to say I was okay if my partner was trapped on the bottom and running out of air, because I was afraid I would be ignored after that. That's why I didn't say I was okay until I found out he was already on the boat.

You're right. I didn't want to say I was okay if my partner was trapped on the bottom and running out of air, because I was afraid I would be ignored after that. That's why I didn't say I was okay until I found out he was already on the boat.

If you were reluctant to give the OK, you could have said "LOST BUDDY BUT I'm OK" at the very least.

You need to communicate constructively. Listen to what people are asking you and try to respond in a way that provides them with information that answers their questions while also expressing your issue.

It has probably been mentioned, but it seems like a fantastic leap from "I lost my buddy" to "he might be trapped on the bottom and running out of air." What were the odds of that? If a patient complains of a headache, do you immediately assume a brain tumor, or do you address the other 99.9 out of a 100 possibilities?

You might consider the 99,9% other options, but you definetly dont rule out the worst case scenario, unlike what a lot of people in this thread are doing..

Back
Top Bottom