Impatient to buy equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IvoryDiver:
Hello,

I have just started diving and am currently taking my advanced and nitrox courses. I am also planning a trip to Cozumel in the next couple of weeks. I have been looking at buying my own regulator for a little bit now and still am not able to make up my mind on which one to get.
I was considering the following regs:
Maximus (Sherwood)
ATX50 (Apeks)
Delta 3 (Oceanic)
Legend LX Supreme (Aqualung)
All kinda different in their own way...
Then I saw a Poseidon Xstream on sale for $400 from a registered dealer!
Now I am thinking...why not get the top of the line reg?
Is that the wrong way to go? What are the aspects of each regulator I should focus on?
I am looking for ease of breathing, quality, and affordability. Should I just go for a Delta 3 and be happy?
Should I wait to dive more before getting my own reg?

Advice would be greatly appreciated..

IvoryD :)

i only had two choices for my regs: extreme and apeks. couldnt decide so i got the extreme for myself and the apeks for my girl. never looked back and been VERY happy. if you have access to parts and a service center for your poseidon get it. its easily the best reg ever made imho.

Pete,
You have helped me out quite a bit! I was about to post about WHAT to buy initially, fully realizing that with 2 kids now in college, my budget will not allow an all at once purchase. From your post, I gather that you would recommend getting a BCD first. I still intend to rent and try out the different variations, but I have settled on integrated weight systems with trim weight pockets. I embrace the idea that you know how to dump your BC and have personalized 'stuff' that is better off staying attached to your BC, than having to reassemble your BC for every dive.

Any other nuiances I need to know about BC 's. I know that you get what you pay for, but are used BCs that horrible? What should I purchase after I get my BC? I am in no rush, but Christmas is coming and I want to give the boss of the house some really great hints!
Howard

spectrum:
I hear you Ivory Diver...

If you can network as Ber Rabbit mentioned that's great stuff. As far as rentals go in this area it's all low end stuff and there's not even many who will let stuff out for a try dive, there are a few shop pools. Take as much time as your patience will allow and buy what your budget will tollerate as you become confident in components.

That being said I did my last certification session in all my own gear, as did my wife. We got good solid stuff that we are comfortable in and are enjoying. Our rental options were very limited and it was either buy or flounder around in low end rental stuff. That wasn't going to help our decision making process or save us any money. Everything we got is durable, safe and locally serviced. Are we likely to upgrade over time? Quite likely but by then we will have a better idea where our dviing is taking us, we'll be much more savy and can make changes as our budget allows.

Your circumstances will have a lot to do with your decision making process.

For what it's worth I'd start with the BC. To me as a new diver the regulator is fairly transparent to switch between dives and there's not a lot of learning or techique beyond breating control. Yes it is "your gas supply" and the diver before you may have puked in it but......

The BC will have dumps that you will need to learn and re learn to control bouyancy and getting your trim right may be like starting over at times. It also is the core of where to find your gauges, safe second, cutting tool(s) whistle and what-not.

Just a my thoughts based on bouncing between different gear during training. I skirted the issue and bought them together.

Good luck and happy & safe diving.
Pete

Hello again,

Thank you once more for your inputs.
I have decided to take my time before deciding on the reg to buy. I am now a certified advance and nitrox diver (Yaye!).
I am now getting a back inflated BC (dive rite rec wings..the blue ones!). I tried them a few times and loved them. So I am investing in one with a steel back plate and a weighted single tank adapter. I know I'm making a good choice when it comes to that.
After my trip I might be able to decide what regulator to get...

Dive Happy! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom