Importance of good fitting gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - thank you all so much for all the feedback / ideas! Frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I'll start researching (thanks for the links!).

As a newbie, I haven't even heard of backplates/wings.....I'm guessing it works similar to a BC but I mostly do boat dives and I'm not a strong swimmer, so wonder if there's any difference in how it keeps you afloat? It would be really cool though if it's easier to travel with....and Kryssa - love the comment about the price of the Jrs....one of the main benefit of being so short (I just hope they don't come with Dora the Explorer or Sponge Bob like all the other kid size clothing out there)!

Re: trying things on.....in the water....need to look into that too. I live near DC and doubt if there are a lot of shops that allow you to try things on under water (we're not really near the water), but will definitely look into that too (going to Puerto Rico next month, so any leads on related shops there would be appreciated!)

Last -- glad to hear comments about good fitting gear impacting my comfort level - and my bouyancy! Kinda hard when things flop around a lot so glad I asked! Maybe another topic but curious to hear how bad-fitting gear has impacted your ability to dive well.....

Wow - thank you all so much for all the feedback / ideas! Frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I'll start researching (thanks for the links!).

As a newbie, I haven't even heard of backplates/wings.....

That's because they account for way less than 10% of BC sales and few places stock them.

They're promoted on SCUBABoard as the fix "for what ails you", but in reality they won't make you better looking, more successful or a better diver.

Find a local shop you like, try a few different styles in the pool and buy what fits the best and makes you happy.

flots.

And really when you are trying foreign unnusual constrictive things how will you know the difference any way which is why a lot more respect and credibility should be afforded walk in dive shops because of course they want to sell you stuff and they also
KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT
unlike some of the detractors that may suggest otherwise.

Bearkely, PM cmalinowski here in SB. He's in the DC area and dives a backplate system, and I think he'd be happy to meet with you and show it to you and explain how it works.

As a newbie, I haven't even heard of backplates/wings.....I'm guessing it works similar to a BC but I mostly do boat dives and I'm not a strong swimmer, so wonder if there's any difference in how it keeps you afloat? It would be really cool though if it's easier to travel with....and Kryssa - love the comment about the price of the Jrs....one of the main benefit of being so short (I just hope they don't come with Dora the Explorer or Sponge Bob like all the other kid size clothing out there)!

Re: trying things on.....in the water....need to look into that too. I live near DC and doubt if there are a lot of shops that allow you to try things on under water (we're not really near the water), but will definitely look into that too (going to Puerto Rico next month, so any leads on related shops there would be appreciated!)

Last -- glad to hear comments about good fitting gear impacting my comfort level - and my bouyancy! Kinda hard when things flop around a lot so glad I asked! Maybe another topic but curious to hear how bad-fitting gear has impacted your ability to dive well.....

Okay, I'm relatively new as well, and I'm out by Dulles. I just got a backplate delivered to my house yesterday. I'd be happy to show it to you and your husband, but there are more experienced divers/shops that can probably give you more information. I will be going out to Millbrook quarry the 13th and will bring my gear along, (2 backplates--1 PVC, 1 Stainless Steel) and my BC (which won't fit you) but you can get a comparison.

I personally like the backplate/wing (bp/w) configuration for a couple of reasons but the primary reason is the customizable fit. I'm hard to fit, for different reasons than you, and the first time I tried a bp/w I knew I was going to be diving it as soon as I could get one for myself.

The big issue newbies like us typically have with bp/w is the fact that it is a back inflate bc. This can occasionally cause you to "face plant" when you're at the surface. I didn't notice it, but a lot of people do. If you're not a strong swimmer, as I think you said somewhere, it's something that you will want to try out before committing to buying.

Fins, it sounds to me like maybe your fins are longer than you would expect. Others have said you'd be fine whether they are short or long and I tend to agree. I would recommend looking at some of the "children" sized fins too, though. A lot of good fins out there so you should be able to find some that fit well and are proportionally accurate. Otherwise, if your fins are working now, they should be fine in the future.

With respect to tanks, I know several shops in our area and a couple at the "vacation" dive areas I have been can get smaller tanks if you need/want a smaller tank. They just need some advance notice, generally. Wherever you plan to dive, check with the local shops and ask about smaller tanks.

Wetsuit warehouse is based in Gaithersburg, MD and I buy most of my suits from them now. They don't do custom, but they carry several brands and I believe you can arrange to try stuff on, if you're willing to drive to them. (Don't quote me on that though.) Their sizing charts are generally pretty decent as well. My point is really to try on as many "off the rack" suits as you can and see what brands fit you best if you feel custom is too difficult or expensive. There are definitely some custom wetsuit manufacturers out there so you should be able to find something but expect to pay about twice as much for a custom suit as you would for a cheap brand. Maybe only 50% more than an expensive name brand, from what I can tell about custom suits.

They're promoted on SCUBABoard as the fix "for what ails you", but in reality they won't make you better looking, more successful

flots.

Not entirely true.

Chicks swooned whenever I swagger across the boat deck with my BPW on. Obviously it must have made me better looking than my standard self.:D

I also got two big raises since I started using BPW a couple of years back too.:eyebrow:

Bad fitting BC will affect your buoyancy tremendously. If it's too big and you're hanging in it then the air is not correctly distributed around your body. If it is a weight-integrated BC then your weights might be too far away from your body which means you require extra effort to turn and move.

A poorly fitting wetsuit means you will be cold or uncomfortable and this just affects your ability to do anything at all; doesn't matter if you're diving or hiking without the correct thermal protection - all your concentration will be on how cold you are, not what you actually need to be doing.

There is plenty of sutff out there for you - I have several shorter female colleagues - actually we are currently having a competition to see who is the shortest :D - but two of the girls here are borderline 5'1 and quite happy with their gear.

Ask questions, try stuff, use common sense. You wouldn't wear a size 14 prom dress if you're a size 8 or a size 20 - scuba gear is no different.

Cheers

C.

I have to second TS&M's post. For a smaller person a back plate and wing is a great option. I would also look into the Zeagle Express tech. I dive one when not in my plate and wing. It is one of those items that like the BPW in that it is damn near infinitely adjustable. If you look at my profile you will see two young ladies on my right. Both of them are about your weight and one is your height. I had my Express Tech on both of them in the pool as well as the guy with the mask on his forehead. Total time to adjust for that size range was about 2 minutes. The ET retails for $250 US. Add $30 worth of drings and a steel buckle from Pirahna dive and you have a bc suitable for someone of your size and weight that you can dive in warm or cold water. I could even advise you on other add-ons that will really make it a great BC. Do not go out and spend 500-800 on a jacket that does not fit exactly, has useless pockets, integrated weights that throw you off, etc. And contrary to some posts a back inflate if you are properly weighted will not put you face forward in the water. These are things said by those who overweight, overinflate, and have never set one up properly. I would also hazard an opinion that more BPW's are not sold because the markup on them is not as high. Some BC's have a 100% tp 250% markup on them. Not worth it. The shops push the high priced items to make money. It is not always in the student best interests.

The suit- try Liquid Fit for reasonably priced custom suit. You will have to take a crap load of measurements but it will be worth it. Wetwear in Hallandale Florida also makes custom suits. They are a bit moew expensive but they use rubatex neoprene which some say is the best for suits. I have met the owners and they are nice people. A good fitting suit is critical. In some cases a well fitting 3 mil is better and warmer that a poor fitting 5 mil.

BCDS - Its so important to have the right fit. We have the scubapro t-ones in xxs in our shop and they are pretty adjustable. I use them for training the local girls (Filippino - so teeny) and they have no problems. We also carry the aquamundo sparten range which is so adjustable its fantastic. The small/medium will fit a small European (say 5'2" medium build) up to a 6ft small build man. They have two catches on the releases so the shoulder straps can really be adjusted. I would definately suggest you try their xs small ( we don't carry one or I'd test it on one of the staff here for you)

Wetsuits - is there anywhere near you that does custom made? It is worth the extra money. A few of my friends in Thailand ordered from here (I bought a special vu/w video camera bag from them. They deliver Hotwave Wetsuits Phuket, Thailand - bit far for you to travel but you get the idea.

Also check out designs for Asian women. The Koreans and Japanese especially are huge divers and there are many companies that have started to make designs based on their body style (much smaller than Europeans/Americans). A Korean friend of mine bought a Scubapro BCD in Japan that is only released in Asia.

Tanks shouldn't affect your buoyancy too much, the problem more is the extra weight you are carrying. Be careful not to hurt your back. We only have 12 and 8 litres here (for children) so I usually tell smaller women to use the 12l on the first dives of the day but if they want a smaller tank for the last shallow dives when they perhaps won't need as much air they are welcome.

The suit, might need to get a custom one made????(I have NO idea about them--luckily I can order one on line & it fits good).....

Tank....63 thru an 80 would work---------esp a HP 80, those things are SHORT.....

BC---A small OR------(get ready for this one), look into a BP/W...Might call DSS & get Tobin to size you up...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom