in a BC quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Zeagle Ranger is an excellent BC. But, there are a few drawbacks. Not major ones, depending on your diving. First, Zeagle wings seem to hold water longer (between the wing and the actually bladder) and take longer to drain than other back inflation BCs. Just means getting into the boat (or handing your BC up to the boat staff) will be a little tougher. Also, Zeagle harnesses are not compatible with other back plate and wing setups. Most use the 17" grommet hookups (I think its 17") and Zeagle has its own way of hooking their wings to their harnesses. I'm sure it can be done, but it takes some experimentation on your part. Also, most back inflate BCs have the "trim weight" pockets attached to the harness (not the backplate/wing system though) but with Zeagle, you have to buy tank trim weights separately. But, the trim weights should take care of any positioning problems.

Pro-Unlimited is also an excellent BC. We sell Seaquest BCs in our shop, and have never had any problem with people dropping the weight pockets. I've dove with a Diva QD from Seaquest for 2 years and have never had any complaints. But, they do have a 10lb max for each pocket. So if you push that max, there may be problems. Pro Unlimited might have a higher limit...not sure. We just got them in Guam :) (We are always the last to get anything!!)

there is always ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Here's another of my favorite quotes: Benjamin Disraeli, one of Britain's great prime ministers is reputed to have said, "For every complex question, there is a simple answer. And it is usually wrong!"

Well, your question was not exactly complex, but there is probably no "right" answer. Both BCs work just fine and could make you happy. Warhammer would tell you if the Ranger did not make him happy! Lost (and Nearly Found) Yooper would give you the straight story on any gear he has tried! Those two guys are straight shooters. The original BLT(not the sandwich): well, I might trust that guy, but he does have a strange name! Now, Scubabunny? We just do not know about her: she asked me for a beer once--over the internet!

However, the "crooked shooter" was your DM/sales person! He should have gracefully draped the Ranger over you shoulders, checked the inseam, tugged a little at the lapels, smoothed the back and let you look in the full length mirror--AND THEN PUSHED YOU IN THE POOL! But only so you could see for yourself! Well, for every jerk, there must be a two good guys because this world is still a wonderful place to in which to live!

Oh, yeah, I like the SeaQuests--have a QD Pro and it has suited me just fine...but you know my rep: warm water, clear water, candy a** recreational diver!

Joewr--tumbling along with the tumbling tumble weeds

These were some really really good replies. Well thought out and detailed. Thanks a million to all the folks that took the time and trouble. I sure feel better about the dual weight deal now. I know another LDS where they have a Pro Unlimited used in my size for 600 (plus taxes). I'm gonna see if they won't let me at least try it out in the pool. BTW, it doesn't seem like anyone will rent a decent BC.... just these damned uncomfortable and nearly indestructable Ab-packs.... Is that the general experience?. I plan to accompany SWMBO on her checkout late in Sep, and I'd like to get sometinng we both would be more comfy in....

Warm Regards to all,
J.

A few more comments --

The Pro Unlimited seems a bit pricey, IMHO. It seems to be the same as the Pro QD with just a few more bells and whistles and a price tag that is US$200+ higher.

I have a Pro QD which I've used for about 30 dives now. I am happy with it and the quality of construction is solid. Weight integration is easy to use. 6 D rings are convienient. Inflator/dump controls are easy to use. Straps are very adjustable.

Too bad you had such a bad experience with the LDS. If he was pushing Zeagle that hard, it means that he makes the most money on it. LDS folks aren't typically "zealots" for a particular brand unless it means $$$ in their pocket.

Well, as we all got a bit carried away here, I think joewr has got us back to the track- the salesman was a lousy one that used bad salesmanship methods. Personnaly, even if I wanted to buy the ranger after all, I'd go somewhere else, but that's stupid me.

About the ranger-
HAVE NO DOUBT EVERYONE!!!
In my opinion it is a GREAT BC and I wanted to buy one, and go to a technical course. Unfortunately, my partner had a road accident after his last diving vocation, and broke his back, so it'll be at least 3 more months untill I even think about doing it.

Anyway- About the wing issue, I maibe prejudice here, but still- from experience, mostly of looking on other people, I saw that people dive "visualy" better with regular BCs than backwing. It is posibble to dive beutifully with backwing, I'm not saying that isn't true, I just belive it is easier with normal BCs (hell, people used to dive beautifully with horse-collar BCs once, or god-forbid- with no BC at all!). You can get used to anything, ofcourse, but bear in mind, that people in o/w course don't usualy use backwing. They need to adjust to a new diving tool if they buy one right after finishing the course, and I dont think that a freshly new diver out of the o/w curse should adjust to completly new equipment on his first few dives.

scubabunny...Funny that you should mention that about the Ranger holding water. Being a big guy, I'd never really paid much attention to it until a dive in Panama City a while back. On that dive the captain was helping me back on board the boat and made a similiar statement. I believe his exact words were, " Man I can tell when you Zeagle guys have been here. The sea level drops at least 2 inches when you get out of the water!" LOL! Since then, I've noticed that if I inflate it on the surface before boarding the boat, it helps tremendously. The air forces the water out of the bladder before you exit. Before, I usually cam up close to the boat just under surface and never inflated my BC, now I do if I'll be handing it up.

The ironic thing, Stephen, is that if he had said something like "There's a lot of good BCs out there ... the trick is to find one you like and are comfortable with ... here take this Zeagle ranger and fart around in the pool for a while and see how you like it" I would have probably wound up buying one from him. And, yes, you are thinking of the same guy. He's really not a bad guy. In fact I quite like him in a number of ways. But I wish he understood that a person who has only known him briefly needs more than just his word to go on.... and it seems suspicious that he just happens to be selling the only really good BC made. I can understand you not stating the name of your shop, but if you email it to me, I'd like to swing by some time and meet you.

Best Regards,
Jack in Phoenix

I have one of these well-made, fine tuned units. It feels like a glove on me. I use two 1 lb weights on the back and 6 lb in the droppable pouches in the front. I can hover on my side, Upside down, on my back and right side up. I stay in one place. There is no rolling because of air shift. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I am a PROUD owner of a Zeagle Ranger and am very VERY happy with my purchase. And all I'm doing right now is recreational diving with absolutely no problems or drawbacks whatsoever. And I will be starting tech diving training soon and the TDI instructor I have selected was one of the ones that recommended the Ranger in the first place.

One day, I would love to log a few dives on some of these other BC's so I can better answer questions like the one that started this thread. But until then, by all means, grab a Ranger and hop into the pool or quarry and check it out. You won't be dissapointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom