In hot water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eventually you have to bathe. How long is one supposed to wait? 30 minutes would be acceptable, but a couple of hours wouldn't. I generally dive in warm locations.

How long is my question. It generally takes me well over an hour just to drive home from either a beach or boat dive. The there is travel time back to the dock, equipment clean up etc... Would a Hot tub increase DCS chances after this amount of time (2+hrs)??

Tombo92551:
How long is my question. It generally takes me well over an hour just to drive home from either a beach or boat dive. The there is travel time back to the dock, equipment clean up etc... Would a Hot tub increase DCS chances after this amount of time (2+hrs)??

Well.....This is only a wild guess from a total hack based on zero reliable information.....but given that the 60 minute compartment has proven itself to be a good enough 1/2-time for calculating surface intervals for recreational profiles and given that the effect we're talking about is marginal to begin with and assuming you had a normal dive and didn't break a bunch of "rules" like making crappy profiles and skipping safety stops and the like then I'd venture a guess that an hour is long enough. 2 hours is probably lots.

I said I was a total hack, right? This isn't advice. This is a wild guess.

R..

redhatmama:
Eventually you have to bathe. How long is one supposed to wait? 30 minutes would be acceptable, but a couple of hours wouldn't. I generally dive in warm locations.

I would treat this like dive-to-fly time. If you wear a computer then look at your desaturation menu and see how long the computer says until you are free to fly, otherwise then 18 - 24 hours. Most people don't want to wait that long, so the other solution is to take a luke warm bath/shower. It doesn't feel as good after a long day of diving, but it gets you clean.

That's just a conservative guess though.

amascuba: Given that you should be ok to workout 6+ hours after I would think it would be less than 6 hours at the maximum.

I would W.A.G. that 1) not having a super hot, but instead a warm shower and 2) making it a fairly short shower and 3) waiting 2+ hours should remove most of the risk.

Bjorn

P.S.: diving a drysuit makes this less of an issue ... unless it floods :wink:

"Mekjavic IB, Kakitsuba N. Effect of peripheral temperature on the formation of venous gas bubbles. Undersea Biomed Res 1989 Sep;16(5):391-401

Temperature of the tissue affects the many components involved in the formation of tissue gas phase formation: diffusion, perfusion, and inert gas solubility. Since the effects of perfusion and inert gas solubility may be counteracting in terms of enhancing growth of gas bubbles, the optimal thermal status of divers throughout a dive remains unresolved. To elucidate the role of peripheral body temperature on gas phase formation, four subjects were exposed to a 10 degree and 40 degree C environment for 3 h on two separate occasions, after a no-stop
decompression from a 12-h dive to 9.14 m (30 fsw) on air. Gas bubbles in the venous return were monitored with a Doppler ultrasonic transducer.

I guess the results of the study quoted earlier in the thread are interesting, but how many recreational divers do 12 hour shallow dives ? Perhaps one of the doctors on the board could comment on how much of this study might be applicable to the average diver ?

Well so far ive gotten skin bends twice , first time i didnt have a clue , just a nice rash from my shoulders to wrists and partially on my chest . Happened during my shower shortly after a dive . Pretty much drove home 10 minutes after with my wetsuit on and jumped in . Went away after about 45 minutes .
Second time a while later same thing , this time a had a little more education and knew what it was and researched what caused it, guess what same thing , hot shower shortly after a long recreational dive(never getting within 10 minutes of Deco)
Also a lot of the time the tops of my feet get it even after ive been out of the water for a few hours , me feet arnt safe for a hot shower till about the 3 to 4 hour mark

:eek:fftopic:
bradshsi:
I guess the results of the study quoted earlier in the thread are interesting, but how many recreational divers do 12 hour shallow dives ? Perhaps one of the doctors on the board could comment on how much of this study might be applicable to the average diver ?

yeah, okay I will give ya that. I have good SAC but not that good!

Here is what I am thinking. I am personally going to err on the side of caution and avoid hot tubbing or hot showers immediately after diving. If I have been diving aggressive profiles/ repeat dives then I will probably try to wait a few hours before taking a shower or make sure to use cooler water temp.

However, I still havent decided whether I think it is okay to pour hot water in my wetsuit immediately after a dive?

Continue, please, but try to stay on track here.:11doh:

Its probably OK , its not like the hot water is staying hot very long , and most likely the hot water is no where near the water temp that most people take a shower at .

Back
Top Bottom