In the pursuit of 'trimness'.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As new divers, my wife and I are always looking for ways to simplify not only equipment but our own movements. Recently bought ScubaPro BCD's with Air2, eliminating the Octos. Don't have to worry about clips coming loose and dragging an Otco. Also, my wife likes not have raise the deflator above her head, inflate and deflate is always at the same spot, right on the chest. We went with writs computers from the start and we have the smallest consoles possible with just depth and pressure gauges. We also have retractable lanyards attached to the consoles. These changes have been extremely beneficial for my wife. By removing as many things she has to do with her hands as possible, she now spends her "skill development" time working on buoyancy control, proper finning, etc. instead of chasing loose hoses. It's all really a matter of preference, but for new divers I would advise..simpilfy as much as possible.

I've worked my way thru the gammut of configurations with streamlining being an important consideration. I retired the integrated octo because it interfered with a slung pony. Now the std inflator on fairly short hoses sits just above the slung pony. Wrist gauges by all means. My SPG can clip off on my left hip or route under my left arm to my left chest D-ring. Also take a look at a long primary hose that will route under your right arm. Air sharing was a secondary consideration for the 5 ft hose - I wanted to get rid of the loop that hung out over my right shoulder catching on things.
My "backup" depth gauge, for ascent purposes only, is my spool with marks at 10, 20, and 30 ft. It does mean I have to shoot the DSMB but that is probably not a bad idea for an unplanned ascent.

If you're getting an integrated air source, try out Atomic Aquatic's SS1. It's the best in its class.

smooth breathing
2 year service interval
great quality and costumer service

scarefaceDM:
Trimming off some fat as it were is a good thing.

Aside from that. avoid the inflator /octo combination. Reason being is. In the event of an OOA how do you vent your BC??? and also if the Hose springs a leak your octo becomes usless to a degree.

Stephen

Could you elaborate on this? How does it affect venting?

Exactly Shark...

The octo is in your mouth and the inflator button also of sort. As your holding your buddy, breathing from your octo Air source, venting posses a probelm on acent. How does one dump air. You cannot reach behind you to grab a dump valve. Do you remove octo, vent vest, put back octo breathe, control buddy...repeat...

There are too many variables that can cause more panic. It becomes complicated.

Granted If BOTH are familiar buddies, and you both know each others capabilities...I can see how it is controlled. But put a new diver-insta buddy...things change...

shark.byte.usa:
If your breathing off of it, how do you dump air from your bc inflator hose on ascent during an OOA while holding on to your buddy? I think is his point.

There are a number of options. One is to use the right shoulder dump if your BC is so equipped (All modern Scubapro BCs). Another is to use a rear dump if you can get horizontal. Or you can orient left shoulder high and simply press the manual dump button on the octo. This will probably not entirely empty your BC but will dump most of the gas the BC might hold. Finally, you can remove the octo from your mouth, hold it above your head, and dump the last bit of gas in the BC. If you really think that would be a problem, then you should practice it. Or there is always golf.

How about Pull on the hose. that will dump from the Shoulder. How many BCs don't have this feature. again, just pull a little harder on the hose, not yank it out of the BC though.

Even then, do you have to hold the Air II setup in your mouth? Are you grasping your buddy with both hands? You aren't actually breathing air out of the BC are you? Nah, there isn't a way I can imagine a leak in the BC dump hose could cause any OOA problems.

Put the Air II in your mouth and hold on like you do any reg.
grasp the hose near the shoulder
grab your buddies hand
pull forward on the hose to dump air on ascent.

No problem.

GA Under Water:
How about Pull on the hose. that will dump from the Shoulder. How many BCs don't have this feature.
Lots of them. Many divers consider pull dumps an unacceptable risk, and deliberately replace them. Many BCs (especially wings) don't come with them, and in some cases they aren't even a standard option.

personally , i DID have to hold the airII in my mouth, or it would pop out , i found it very uncomfortable. if facing an ooa , i don't want to have anything else to think about besides getting (me and my buddy) to the surface safetly. so i chose to go with an octo..... whatever makes you more comfortable, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom