Indonesia trip in Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottidu

New
Reaction score
I am planning to travel to Indonesia for 2 weeks in September with my wife and I am looking for some suggestions.

As my wife doesn't dive (yet) I reckon I should take off the list things such as liveabords or places which are mainly diving focus (and I guess raja ampat or north solawesi may fell in this category). I am looking for places that combine great diving with good snorkeling and other activities. Would Flores be a good option (diving, Kelimutu, Komodo, etc). If you have any other ideas please let me know!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Antonio

Have you been to Bali? This is probably your best bet for a balanced itinerary that combines good diving and land activities. You have a chance to see Mola Molas in September and your wife can get certified to dive if she so chooses. There are plenty of threads here that talk about the best dive spots in Bali.

I agree with Magrone. For a first-timer to Indon, Bali is a no-brainer since there's something for everybody--culture, food, diving, snorkeling, nature, handicraft shopping...

I think a really good place to go is the Tulamben area. Try for one of the resorts on a sandy beach (there are only a couple) so that you can do some shallow shore diving while your wife snorkels above you. Certification (or at least a try dive) would be a snap from a beach resort. One important dive site up there is the Liberty wreck, which is brilliant both for divers and snorkelers since at its shallowest it's right below the surface (5 m or so), and yet because it's on a steep volcanic slope, the far end of the wreck is in deep enough water (30 m or so) for diving to be a thrill. With two weeks at your disposal, you could spend quite a lot of time on Bali and even a few days over on Nusa Lembongan to dive with the Mola Molas since September is prime season. There are snorkel-worthy reef flats over there as well.

September is very busy for Bali with divers, so book well in advance.

If you would like to tailor-made dive itinerary preparing, just drop me an email through the webpages. We are a 22 roomed dive resort based in Padang Bai, east Bali.

I am planning to travel to Indonesia for 2 weeks in September with my wife and I am looking for some suggestions.

As my wife doesn't dive (yet)...
Antonio

Antonio, I also recommend Bali for traveling with a partner who doesn't dive (yet). But do a combination of things, not just 2 weeks solid diving. Tulamben is good, but you must stay there and dive a few days, then go elsewhere because there isn't a lot of other things to do. Tulamben is very busy in the middle of the day with day trippers who drive 2-3 hours each way from the south. If you stay there, plan to dive early and after the day trippers leave or are having lunch. You will see a LOT.

We spend quite a lot of time in Indonesia on dive trips we organize. When we can we stay in Bali ourselves to "decompress". We'll be there 2 weeks after our Raja Ampat trips this year.

A few days in Ubud is good. Plenty of shops, restaurants and near to many temples and other sights to see. There are accommodations in all price ranges. We like to stay in a quiet place in the rice fields that is close enough to walk onto the main street in 10 min.

The nice thing in Bali is you can pre-arrange your diving and can do a "Dive Safari" with some companies. They will move your bags from one place to another while you are out diving that day. So you could stay in Tulamben to dive there a few days, then move to Candidasa and dive out of Padangbai (by boat) a couple of days.. and perhaps elsewhere as well. The last 10 or 11 years I've dived with AquaMarine Diving (who are also a client of mine - they wouldn't be if I didn't trust them with their clients).

Also nice in Bali is you can hire a car and driver for very little money and tell them what you want to do (not for diving). We always hire the same man for our airport transfers, 1/2 or full day trips around the island. And sometimes for a special shopping trip to one of the villages to buy paintings, bone carvings, etc. If you buy a Bali guide book, you don't need to pay for expensive tours. Just find a driver and arrange trips directly with him.

Deb Fugitt
www.CitySeahorse.com/rajaampat

As my wife doesn't dive (yet) I reckon I should take off the list things such as liveabords or places which are mainly diving focus (and I guess raja ampat or north solawesi may fell in this category). I am looking for places that combine great diving with good snorkeling and other activities. Would Flores be a good option (diving, Kelimutu, Komodo, etc). If you have any other ideas please let me know!

Antonio

As everyone said, Bali is clearly your best bet. I've stayed in LabuanBajo while doing land-based diving in Komodo area, and doubt that your wife would enjoy her time there alone while you went diving all day (and that means, perhaps, 8AM to 4PM, since the boat rides to and from the dive sites are very long). I wasn't looking for non-diving activities, so maybe a better-informed person could give some help there, but my impression was that there were few such options.

Thank you all for the useful info!

One last question: I was thinking of going to Flores to combine diving with a trek to Kelimutu. Could you recommend some good places where to dive in the area?

Thanks again!

Hi Antonio-

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like. I've lived and worked in the dive industry here in Bail for the past couple of years and I will be happy to help.

Cheers,

TW

Thank you all for the useful info!

One last question: I was thinking of going to Flores to combine diving with a trek to Kelimutu. Could you recommend some good places where to dive in the area?

Thanks again!
Hi,
last year, I wrote a report on Maumere/Flores diving, check it out.
Maumere is the only option to dive in rhe eastern part of Flores : SeaWorld has great bungalows on a lovely beach and its own dive center, they will happily arrange everything for you from Labuan Bajo to Maumere (accoms, driver, etc.) if you wish to.
Ankermi is another option, the location is not as good beachwise plus the bungalows not as comfortable as SW but they're specialized on macro stuff.
cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom