Indonesia vs Thailand vs Maldives vs Philippines in July???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chasin' Tales

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, here's the deal...my 40th bday is in July. I have a buddy in Bangkok who has offered a place to crash. My wife and I are currently unemployed. We have the time to travel, but a limited budget. Also, we have enough airline miles for each of us to get a round trip ticket from US to Bangkok. To celebrate my 40th bday, our thought was to use Bangkok as a "home base" and try to hit as many diving and terrestrial hot-spots in the area as possible in 4-6 weeks time (July thru mid-August).

The problem we are finding is how to narrow the list down. I thought it would be easiest to start with the dive destinations. We had pretty much settled on about a week in Sulawesi with the time split between Bunaken and Lembeh. That's pretty much world class diving there, eh?

For the second location, we had thought somewhere in the Philippines for a week would be good. I've heard great things about diving in the Philippines, but not really sure where to go. Any recommendations for cheap, safe diving? We will get our fill of macro in Indonesia...perhaps somewhere that might offer something different/unique?

Despite spending some time in Thailand, we did not put any Thai diving on the itinerary. I'm guessing after Indonesia and the Philippines, we would be disappointed diving anywhere in Thailand. Is that the case?

Regarding the Maldives, it looks like it would be a really cool place to go, but pricier than Indonesia or the Philippines without offering better diving. Is that accurate?

What can we expect in these locations weather-wise in July & August?

Any recommendations on terrestrial destinations? We have considered Siem Reap for ~3 days, then 3-4 days in Vietnam. We've heard Laos is cool...any must-see places there? We are not ones to spend much time in cities...much prefer getting out in and experiencing nature.

I know this all seems like a rambling mess...I guess that's where my head is at right now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Rambling mess yes...
Why go all the way to Indonesia for just a week?
It's worth so much more time, of all your choices it has the best diving. Bunaken has nice walls and reefs and Lembeh is muck/critter heaven, no problem with those two but your missing Komodo, one of my all time favorite spots. There are some budget liveaboards from LBJ or check out Scuba Junkies for a good land based choice. Komodo is epic diving with everything from macro to Mantas. Beautiful Bali has great diving too, and can be done pretty cheaply. And of course topside is simply gorgeous.

The Phillipines has great diving also and can be done on a budget. So many choices there too. Anilao/Puerto Galera, Dauin, Malapascua, loads of places to choose from.

Your really going to have some choices to be made.
How much diving do you want to do?

Thailand is out for diving during the months you are traveling. Those months are square in the middle of monsoon season in northern SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and much of West Malaysia). Southern SE Asia (Indonesia, Philippines) has the opposite monsoon season.
As dirtfarmer suggests, I'd focus on Indo and/or Philippines for diving and dedicate quantity time to it- you won't regret it. If Bangkok is your home base, Air Asia has flights all over the place for cheap.

I had two months away two years ago , spent four weeks in Indonesia , then a week in Cambodia and the plan was 3 weeks in the Philippines....when it rained and rained , so I spent the last 8 days in Thailand.

We did a liveaboard to Raja Ampat the first month which was awesome ...in summer Komodo is at it's best, so I would really recommend you fo there , plus a week in the islands off Bali plus a week in Sulawesi. There are plenty of lower budget liveaboards or back backer budget resorts. Then head to the Philippines , via Luang Prabang in Laos or Siem Reap in Cambodia. Six weeks goes quickly and moving between countries quickly adds up.

Have a wonderful trip

Landside, most of continental SEA July should be rainy, however depending on the places it's not as bad as it sounds
I've already traveled northern Thailand (Chiang Mai and the hills area) was rainy but OK, Laos is very close to Thailand, Luang Prabang is a great little city with dozens of templs/monasteries it usually rains from 2PM to 5PM and anyway it's too hot outside to walk., Cambodia Siem Reap is OK, the monsoon doesn't feel as wet as the neighboring countries.
I wouldn't trip Vietnam for a few days though, it can be be very rainy and with 4 days you'd be able to travel the South part (Mekong delta) which would be very rainy it's a pity because you're on a boat on the Mekong most of the time.
If you go on the southern peninsular SEA, eastern coast of Malaysia is dry, Perhentian island are beautiful and quite cheap, however it's a crowded backpacker place. The diving is OK.

That leads us to diving now. Borneo is fine weatherwise, Sipadan is one of the best place for fish school action but it can be expensive. Borneo is also a place for jungle walks and nature treks.
A part of Indonesia is quite dry, unlike what I've read above I would say there is only a part of indonesia that is dry and not too windy at that time, it's the Nusa Tenggara area from Bali to Timor, you can also add some places like Pulau Weh and a part of North Sulawesi.
Weh is very cheap but the diving doesn't rate as high as Bali, Komodo or Alor for instance. If you like nature, crossing the big island of Flores is really worth, it's a beautiful island with spectaculat nature and highlights (Mount Kelimutu colored lakes). You can start the journey from Labuan bajo which is also the departing point to Komodo.

As for the Phils, the diving is good and can be cheap but I would advise staying in the southern Visayas (Cebu) where you can dive almost 365 days on some spots esp Moalboal for sardine schools and Pescador colorful walls, If you go to Malapascua or Bohol, be careful to be flexible for your return dates, you may be stranded on the island for a few days with no ferries to go back to Cebu (happened t o me a few times).

I would forget Maldives in your trip, more expensive than the rest of Asia, and a bit out of your way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom