Inexpensive diving around New Port Richey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff127

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for some advice in regards to affordable dives in the vicinity of New Port Richey. I'm gonna be in the area as part of a family vacation and would like to sneak away and get in a dive or two, but I spent most of my budget to take a Nitrox course and two gulf dives, so I can't afford the hundred+ dollar charters that I've found online that leave from the area. So, I'm looking for any suggestions of cheap dive sites or charters in the area that you would recommend. I won't have a buddy, so unless there's a group outing or something shore diving would be out. I also can't drive too far away, I'm kinda limited on transportation, so any suggestions have to be within an hour or so of New Port Richey and/or have something for non-divers to do.

I'll be in town from December 27th until January 3rd and could dive any day but the 29th and 2nd. Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you may have.

-Geoff

Hey Geoff keep me posted on when your getting here, Im getting bored, transportation is not a big issue( view avetar).. Theres quite an abundance of ledges close to shore, granted the temps to me are a bit chilli, but Ill adjust. It would be nice If a few other S/B members were interested as I dont like to leave the boat un-atended upside and we could do a 2-2 dive.. Bring your speargun if youve got one, grouper in that area is really close in. But no matter what have a fun and enjoyable trip

Hey Geoff keep me posted on when your getting here, Im getting bored, transportation is not a big issue( view avetar).. Theres quite an abundance of ledges close to shore, granted the temps to me are a bit chilli, but Ill adjust. It would be nice If a few other S/B members were interested as I dont like to leave the boat un-atended upside and we could do a 2-2 dive.. Bring your speargun if youve got one, grouper in that area is really close in. But no matter what have a fun and enjoyable trip

That would be excellent. I could be available for most of the time I'll be in Florida, so if there is anytime that would be better for you (or anyone else) I could most likely work around that.

I would love to go dive the ledges, more to see and probably better conditions than what I'm use to up here up here is Michigan. Same goes for the cold temps, anything beats snow on the surface interval.

-Geoff

Hudson Grotto is just north of you, I think, not far at all. 30 minutes? $20 to dive there. Kind of dark and murky, but they've got lots of nifty stuff sunk down there. It's deep (I hit 130....lots of stuff around 90-115), and you will need some lights, and you might want to take a reel with you, because you do not want to find yourself confused about where you are. They have a line run to all of the "attractions" though, and there's also stuff at 40 feet to see where it's much warmer and lighter.

I was going to suggest Hudson Grotto too - but like you said it's dark... and scary...

I'd have no problem with dark, low vis water, but the problem with Hudson Grotto would be finding a buddy. No one in my family dives, and I'm no where near ready or trained to dive solo, so unless I could find a buddy the grotto is out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Geoff

hey Geoff, Im heading to alexander springs tomm to use my daughters gear and get use to it, so I can get her some new stuff soon. My youngest said she would be happy to stay on the boat uptop. 18 yrs and 800 horse power it was simple to get her to go.. If weather permitts theres pasco reef #1, and 2 . Theres also tarpon spring reef, plus a bunch of inshore ledges... If you are comfortable after those four and you think you want more theres the 12.5 fanthom tug and barge. Granted Id like to see how we do before dropping to those and make sure were comfortable. If the weather sucks we can always hit a few springs........

hey just ask one of the guys at scuba west ......sometimes you can tag along with a class if one is there ...thats what i did monday 17th..they did there thing and i just blow bubbles around them had a good time ,very dark below 30 feet need light ,water was 72 surface and 70 at 107 saw some turtles ,aboat ,and lots of fish those guys are great

Attachments

• turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 35
I'd have no problem with dark, low vis water, but the problem with Hudson Grotto would be finding a buddy. No one in my family dives, and I'm no where near ready or trained to dive solo, so unless I could find a buddy the grotto is out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Geoff

If you want to go on Saturday or Sunday let me know and I'll be glad to. The same goes for any of the other springs too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom