Inexperience resulted in OOA at 66 feet (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geekdiver; In our case, we were uncertified divers experiencing the "discover scuba plan". So I guess if the dive master told us to "wear purple underware on our head" we probably would have. There was a dive plan for all divers, advise at 500psi,and stay together. We where tought the basic hand signals, but NO DIVE BUDDY SYSTEM. Please remember this if anyone you know wants to do the "resort experience", beware!!!

android:
I like the rock bottom turn arounds too. I'm adding them in Sharpie to my RDP.

this may sound dumb, but...RDP? regular dive plan? red diving pants? rugged dingo patties?

Joe

mccabejc:
Lamont for President !!! My hats off to Lamont for introducing me to the specifics of "rock bottom". I found the LONG post elsewhere on this board describing the method for calculating rock bottom and it makes immense sense. And he boils it down to the typical rock bottom figures I'll be using henceforth and hereafter.

Excellent...yes, excellent....

I'm intrigued by this idea, it sounds like a great safety precaution... I've been searching for the long post you mentioned about how to calculate the "rock bottom" time, but goober me seems to be lost... Could you point me in the direction of the post about it? :06:

Thanks!

chris hecker:
This happened to my son and I in maui about 2 years ago.we were both un-certified and dove on a "resort card" (a brief open water course.) as instructed, my son(who also has asthma) advised D.M. at 500psi. He gave o.k. sign.15 min later on anchor line up i turn around and see him buddy breathing with d.m. ( I was o.k. with 125 psi) my mother in law freaked!! she is certified,and was with us. After her reaction to the whole episode, I decided to get certified, thank god. To think we didn't know better!!!

At the time, being unaware of the dangers you might have "thought" you were ok with 125 psi, but I would think that being certified after this incident you would have realized that "NO", you were not "OK" with 125 psi. IMHO, it doesn't sound to me like you know any better now than you did then. You were "seconds" from needing to share air yourself. Was there another DM to share air with you? If not, how would he have supplied you "both" and still be able to breath himself? Any deeper, you and your son would have been in "BIG" trouble. Still think you were "OK"?

No No No!!! it was sarcasm. the dive master said "your o.k.,you still have air left." Now that i'm certified, holy crap!!! this was such an unacceptable situation, and NO there was no other divemaster with us. My mother in law asked the d.m about my air, he looked at her and said,"you had plenty to share" What is scary is that we didn't know any better AT THAT TIME. I sure know better now.

Chris,

In our case, we were uncertified divers experiencing the "discover scuba plan".

Now I understand. I took a resort discover scuba dive once to. I think we spent more time picking out fins and mask than actual instruction. At least in one I took the DM was smart enough to keep us shallow I don't think we went more than 25'. 60 ft is way to deep to take someone new and violates PADI standards. Discover Scuba is basicly OW Dive 1.

Here are the PADI standards:

You must conduct the Open Water Dives at a dive site with conditions and environment suitable for beginning divers. The maximum planned depth for Open Water Dives 1 and 2 must not exceed 12 metres/40 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom