Inflator Hose Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been having a problem with my inflator hose and wonder if anyone knows why. It seems that it is not making proper contact with the inflator assembly. When i pish the inflate button, i get bery little air coming through. If i squeeze down the female fitting onto the male, it works fine. I first suspected salt in the fitting and soaked it in a vinegar solution. Seemed to work. Then it happened again and nothing seems to fix it. I will buy another hose but i was curious to see if anyone had an explanation. FWIIW, The hose is miflex.

When was the last time you disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the inflator itself? And did you remove and reinstall the schrader valve in the hose? I'd try those before buying a new hose.

I have found that some low pressure nipples are not always 100% compatable with all low pressure hoses. I think it might be a slight difference in the lengths of either the nipples or the schrader valves.

You can buy the female inflator assembly separate and have the option of attaching it to any LP hose [Miflex or standard] of any length....It's easier to clean that way [ I use an ultra sonic cleaner] and I've found they're usually better made...It gives you the option of eliminating the hose as a possible cause or switching to another hose if the hose does get damaged.....

I would try a new schradder valve and see if that fixes the problem. Actually, I would first try another LPI hose. IF that worked OK, I would unscrew the current schradder valve about 1 turn and see if it then worked OK. Then I would try replacing the $2 schradder valve before the $20 LPI hose.

Thanks to all. I will try all of the above as soon as I get back to the states.

the shrader removal tool is a couple bucks from an auto parts store. If I recall correctly, the last one I bought was under 2 bucks. The auto parts store will have the schrader valves, too.

If you get the Schrader valve tool from the auto parts store, make sure the wrech is deep enough to fit inside the hose. Most auto parts stores carry the "4-way" multi-tool that looks like this:
19402.jpg
I found that the one I had was too shallow to reach the valve.
I found the screwdriver style works best
schraedertool.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom