Info on Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel:
. . .What is the difference between a $500-$800 vs. $1200-$1500 suit?
Is there a difference in any "type" of suit I need to be aware of?
Can I wear my current gear - BC, Fins, etc. or am I looking at a total re-gear?
If I buy a suit, are the footies and neoprene gloves extra?
Anything else somebody like me needs to know to take the plunge? . . .
S. Nagel

Hi there.

A $500-$800 suit will be sufficient if you only plan to use it occasionally (several times per year) and in nice conditions (boat dives or platforms--not rock climbing and scraping on wrecks and rocks).
The pricier suit "should be" much more durable and abrasion resistant.

TriLam is the most popular, lightest, and quickest drying.
TriLam with Cordura is more durable and abrasion resistant, but heavier.
Neoprene or crushed neo is very durable and easy to care for, but very heavy and takes forever to dry, also not easily packable for air travel.
Current gear will do, though you may need a larger set of fins if you get a suit with separate rock boots. You can use your same neoprene gloves.

That covers the most obvious basics. You know where to reach me if you want to have an in-depth discussion or exchange of e-mails. I'm happy to help, and won't necessarily direct you to the most obvious place for you to buy one. Great chance I can hook you up with a loaner or rental to try a suit out, too.

theskull

I third the Drysuit Diving book from Hammerhead. I bought a used copy of the 3rd edition (curent is 4th). Compares well with PADI specialty training manual. I was able to borrow a copy of the PADI course video and there wasnt much there that wasnt covered in the above book. Good basic info on types of suits, construction details, usage, etc.

nagel:
So, I know very little about dry suits - they are "suppose" to keep you dry, they are warmer, and you need to take a certification class (which at this point I haven't, but am looking into it). This is about it - so what else do I need to know?

What is the difference between a $500-$800 vs. $1200-$1500 suit?
Is there a difference in any "type" of suit I need to be aware of?
Can I wear my current gear - BC, Fins, etc. or am I looking at a total re-gear?
If I buy a suit, are the footies and neoprene gloves extra?
Anything else somebody like me needs to know to take the plunge?

S. Nagel

I asked a similar question on an earlier thread and received 2 good pieces of advice:

1) You'll want to take a course diving with a dry suit, so look for a LDS that will apply part or all of your tuition toward the purchase of a suit.

2) Some dive shops will rent, and then apply some of the $$ you spent renting towards the purchase of a suit.

The point here is to negotiate with the shops in your area for a good deal.

Compared to the price of the suit, the cost of the class is not enormous. Bear that in mind... if you can save $400 buying a $1500 suit for $1100 by shopping online (I'll recommend DiveTank again), you're not gaining much when your LDS throws in a $150 drysuit class for "free" (especially if they still want you to pay the $30 fee to PADI)... not to mention taxes.

Shop carefully. :)

Kilani...

The only reason I see for getting an actual PADI or NAui drysuit specialty cert is that if you travel and want to rent a drysuit, you may have to produce the cert to prove you know what you are doing. Well, maybe the patch too...

orangelion03:
Kilani...

The only reason I see for getting an actual PADI or NAui drysuit specialty cert is that if you travel and want to rent a drysuit, you may have to produce the cert to prove you know what you are doing. Well, maybe the patch too...
That's the only reason I took the class. I figured someday I may want to rent from somewhere, and Sport Chalet, among others, will not rent a DS to you without a DS cert card.

Class was fun, easy and very relaxed. But I only learned a couple non-essential tips over what I had already learned by reading the book and diving a few times with long-time DS users who gave me tips.

Basically, the difference between cheaper and more expencive suits is comfort wearing them on shore. Almost true story!
a BARE CD4 ProDry suit or similar suit is a very nice place to start for drysuits. Its not the fancy trilam, so its a bit heavier and bit more uncomfortable to wear on shore, but thats not where you plan to be in it anyways, is it?
Ive used a DUI CF200x drysuit, which was very comfortable on shore, but it didnt really keep me dry, so I bought a BARE CD4, which is as said less comfortable on shore, but it keeps me dry and its not really much difference on the comfort while in the water.
All your current gear should be usable with a drysuit instead of a wetsuit.

As far as drysuit courses go.. I dont have one and half my dives is with drysuit. (And my profile is outdated, I need to check my logbook)
The drysuit course is not really a neccesity if you can do your first few dives with someone that is experienced with drysuit diving and can teach you the dos and donts. Its not all that different from diving with a wetsuit at all, infact I found it to be easier to control bouyancy for example with a drysuit.. Crushed neoprene and trilam dont have the same bouyancy swings as wetsuits do and I also find it easier to fine-tune my bouyancy with air in the suit rather than the BC..

I forgot to mention and I see no one else mentioned the most difficult task a Dry suit user has to get used to. When you go to warm water in winter time for vacation and use a Wet suit don't forget to count how many times you push on your Chest to adjust your Buoyancy.

Hahahaha.. Ill remember to count the next time I dive wet :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom