Ingersoll Rand compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chevv58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently work in the industrial air compressor industry. That means we do a lot with high volume and low pressure, so I know little of the low volume high pressure machines. But some of our vendors occasionally have a used high pressure IR machine for sale, and I have been starting to look for my own compressor.

I know Bauer and Mako are the big swinging d*cks in the scuba compressor world. But, does anyone here have experience with Type 30 or Type 40 Ingersoll machines for gas filling? I am looking to get 3500+ psi fills.

Type 30 and Type 40 Ingersoll Rand compressors are rated only 125 psi and 175 psi in respectively and these output pressure is not high enough for scuba tank fills.

You're right. I'm sorry, I forgot the marketing wizards at Ingersoll had made both a "Type 30, Type 40" series, and had many models named T3 and T4, and the two lines are completelly different animals. I should have said T3 and T4 compressors.

Yea, that's the machine. I do have access to three phase power, and honestly, those machines used, can be picked up for under $2000. So, yes, it is overkill, but reasonable.

If low hours used also including a complete air filtration system, then the mentioned price is not bad, otherwise you have to put an extra expensive air filtration system investment.

Basically, it's better to set up with a cascade system to prevent to get a hot filled ( Aluminum 80 tank will only take about 3.5 minutes to get full, and supposed the tank temperature will go up so hot and not good to the tank ).

Chevv58: I am far from an expert on these matters, I have my own small 30 year old Bauer compressor that I have done a few upgrades to, and am in the process of doing more (upgraded filtration, etc.) When it comes to compressors for scuba use it seems that almost any high pressure compressor can be made to work with enough filtration, some models are better than others. While, Buaer, Rix, Alkins, Mako, etc. may be more well known due to the fact that they provide turn key compressor systems that does not mean that there is anything wrong with the home built Kiddie, or Stewart Warner military surplus units, or the more industrial Ingersoll Rands, you just have to spend more time learning what your doing, and maintenance/parts may be more of an issue. Over the years I have ran across more than a handful of dive shops and operations that use Ingersoll Rand and other more industrial compressors, in fact I taught at a shop that used an army surplus Ingersoll Rand scuba compressor for a while, it was big and noisy and used non standard filtration cartridges and output far fewer CFM's than one might expect, but it seemed to work and was used to fill thousands of tanks over the years.

I think that this whole thread is getting a bit ahead of itself, the first underlying question should be what do you want/need a compressor for? , if its just personal use then a large industrial beast is not the best answer as cost of operation will be much higher, etc

Chevy, The 15T4 were very good compressors. They were a low RPM, heavy duty compressor but they ran a little hot. I have all new cylinders, valves, pistons, heads, crankshafts, and most everything except cooling coils for them in stock. I can help you get one up and running and may even be interested in buying some of the old ones you run across.
There are some improvements you can make that will make them even better. Like some of the ALKIN heads that are a direct bolt on, they are much larger in diameter and have fins to help them run cooler. Make sure it has plenty of filtration and you use the right oil and it will be a great compressor for you.
I would be glad to help you if I can. Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom